Exploring Minkowski: A Multi-Dimensional Grid for Studying Other Spaces?

• A
  • Thread starter homerwho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minkowski
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of Minkowski as being empty space with no matter or energy. One person proposes the idea of considering Minkowski as a multi-dimensional grid for studying other spaces, but the other person expresses confusion and ignorance regarding the application of this concept.
homerwho
TL;DR Summary
Can Minkowski have geometry of Mesh
I understand Minkowski is empty space with no matter. Is there a possibility to consider Minkowski as a multi dimensional grid in the form of a perpendicular 3 dimensional matrix for further study on other spaces. For example to have a matrix mesh to map other solutions onto. I claim ignorance of the applicational mathematics. I am just interpreting what I read

Space news on Phys.org
homerwho said:
I understand Minkowski is empty space with no matter.

No stress-energy, meaning no matter, energy, radiation, nothing.

homerwho said:
Is there a possibility to consider Minkowski as a multi dimensional grid in the form of a perpendicular 3 dimensional matrix for further study on other spaces.

I don't understand what this means.

homerwho said:
I am just interpreting what I read

Read where? Giving a specific reference might help.

Related to Exploring Minkowski: A Multi-Dimensional Grid for Studying Other Spaces?

1. What is the Minkowski contents question?

The Minkowski contents question is a mathematical problem posed by Hermann Minkowski in 1905. It asks whether a given set in n-dimensional space can be covered by a finite number of convex sets with arbitrarily small total volume.

2. Why is the Minkowski contents question important?

The Minkowski contents question is important because it has applications in various fields such as geometry, topology, and mathematical physics. It also has connections to other mathematical problems and has been studied extensively by mathematicians.

3. Has the Minkowski contents question been solved?

No, the Minkowski contents question remains an open problem in mathematics. While there have been some partial solutions and progress made towards solving it, a complete solution is yet to be found.

4. What are some related problems to the Minkowski contents question?

Some related problems to the Minkowski contents question include the Brunn-Minkowski inequality, the Busemann-Petty problem, and the Mahler conjecture. These problems all deal with the geometry and measure of convex sets in n-dimensional space.

5. How does the Minkowski contents question relate to real-world problems?

The Minkowski contents question has applications in various real-world problems such as packing problems in physics and computer science, optimal transportation problems in economics and logistics, and shape analysis in computer vision and image processing. It also has implications in understanding the structure and behavior of matter in the physical world.