Exploring Projectile Motion in Reduced Gravity: Calculating Football Distance

In summary, a student's maximum range for throwing a football is 60 meters on Earth. If Earth's gravity were reduced to 1/6 of its normal value, similar to the moon's gravity, the range would still be 60 meters, as the horizontal motion is not affected by gravity. The acceleration due to gravity is constant and air resistance is neglected. To achieve the furthest throw, the football should be thrown at a 45 degree angle.
Lori

Homework Statement

A student can throw a football a max range of 60 meters. How far could he throw it if the Earth's gravity were reducted to 1/6 of its normal value , similar to the moon's gravity?

Homework Equations

v = .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like i did this wrong but

x = .5at^2
60 = .5(9.81)t^2
t= 3.5
x = .5((1/6)9.81)*3.5^2
x=10 m

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Your attached file has nothing to do with your post
2) Yeah, I'd sure guess you did SOMETHING wrong since you have the ball going 60 meters on the Earth and only 10 on the moon, which clearly is just silly.

phinds said:
1) Your attached file has nothing to do with your post
2) Yeah, I'd sure guess you did SOMETHING wrong since you have the ball going 60 meters on the Earth and only 10 on the moon, which clearly is just silly.
Would the range still be 60m then because forces in the y direction don't affect x?

Lori said:
Would the range still be 60m then because forces in the y direction don't affect x?
How can you think that? If you throw a baseball you can probably get it to go, say, 100 feet. Do you think you could do the same with a 20lb tossing weight if you give it the same force in the x direction? The only difference will be the force in the y direction.

phinds said:
How can you think that? If you throw a baseball you can probably get it to go, say, 100 feet. Do you think you could do the same with a 20lb tossing weight if you give it the same force in the x direction? The only difference will be the force in the y direction.
I see. I do understand that the ball would probably travel farther since gravity pulling down at it is smaller. Am I using the wrong equation?

You calculated a time and then assumed the time would be the same in both cases. Why?

CWatters said:
You calculated a time and then assumed the time would be the same in both cases. Why?
oh right. The kinematic equation i use assume that acceleration is constant . But, it's not here

Let me think about this again...

d = .5at^2
d = .5(1/6a)t^2
d/(1/6) = .5at^2
6*d = .5at^2

So , 6*d means that distance is multiplied by 6 , so 360 meters?

Lori said:
oh right. The kinematic equation i use assume that acceleration is constant . But, it's not here

The acceleration due to gravity is not constant? Why do you claim that?

Of course, for footballs that go 1000 miles up, the acceleration is probably detectively non-constant over the whole trajectory, but for ordinary footballs thrown at ordinary height (or even 100 times ordinary height) you would probably not be able to measure the non-constancy of ##g##. (Air resistance would be a much, much more important factor, but I presume we are neglecting that.)

Perhaps make a list of all the factors that determine how far an object will go when thrown. Then decide which are likely to be the same in both cases. Forget equation for the moment.

Likes gneill
Hey Lori!

You seem to assume that the horizontal motion is accelerated by gravity.
But it isn't, is it?
Isn't it the vertical upward motion that is decelerated by gravity?

Note that we get the furthest throw (when neglecting friction by air), if we angle the throw by 45 degrees.

Related to Exploring Projectile Motion in Reduced Gravity: Calculating Football Distance

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity and any other external forces, such as air resistance or thrust. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

How is projectile motion affected by reduced gravity?

In reduced gravity, the acceleration due to gravity is less than the standard 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. This means that objects will experience a slower acceleration and will travel farther in a given amount of time compared to Earth's gravity.

What factors affect the distance a football will travel in reduced gravity?

The distance a football will travel in reduced gravity is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the surface of the playing field may also have an impact.

How can we calculate the distance a football will travel in reduced gravity?

To calculate the distance a football will travel in reduced gravity, we can use the formula d = v0^2 sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. We can also use computer simulations or conduct experiments to measure the distance.

What are some potential real-world applications of studying projectile motion in reduced gravity?

Studying projectile motion in reduced gravity can have applications in sports science, aerospace engineering, and space exploration. It can also help us better understand the physics behind motion and gravity in different environments, leading to advancements in technology and innovation.