Exploring the Curious Case of He-3 Neutron Absorption and Fission into H-3 and H

In summary: It has the same energy as the proton emission reaction, but the momentum is not conserved so it is less likely.
murdakah
I'm curious, why does Helium-3 fission into H-3 and H upon neutron absorption? Surely the He-4 nucleus configuration is more stable?
I get that the energy release may be what splits the nucleus, because it releases quite a lot of energy if it were to simply absorb the neutron.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the energy get released if it does not split up?
That reaction is possible, but I would expect it to be unlikely as it cannot proceed via the strong interaction alone.

mfb said:
How does the energy get released if it does not split up?
That reaction is possible, but I would expect it to be unlikely as it cannot proceed via the strong interaction alone.
I find the cross-section quoted as 55 microbarns - compared to the cross-section of proton emission, at 5500 barns.
Looking around the light isotopes, those which can release the energy by strong interaction - He-3, Li-6, B-10 and N-14 - have cross-section in barns to kilobarns. Those which cannot and only are capable of electromagnetic interaction and gamma ray emission - all H isotopes, Li-7, Be, B-11, C, N-15, O - have cross-section in microbarn to millibarn range.

Ok, so you're saying that its just much more likely to split up. Actually, now that you mention it, it makes sense now. So if I'm understanding correctly, the He-4 does form, but is only a short lived intermediate product, proceeding to decay into other smaller sub-components.
n + He-3 --> (He-4) --> H-3 + H-1 (or H-2 + H-2?)
What promotes the one fission reaction to be more probable than the other? ( Assuming of course D+D is a valid product)

I'm not sure if the intermediate state lives long enough to call it He-4.
The emission of a single nucleon (or alpha particle for heavier nuclei) is more likely than a split into two similar and bounds parts.

mfb said:
I'm not sure if the intermediate state lives long enough to call it He-4.
The emission of a single nucleon (or alpha particle for heavier nuclei) is more likely than a split into two similar and bounds parts.
I see. So just proton emission then. Thanks a lot. :)

murdakah said:
I'm curious, why does Helium-3 fission into H-3 and H upon neutron absorption? Surely the He-4 nucleus configuration is more stable?
I get that the energy release may be what splits the nucleus, because it releases quite a lot of energy if it were to simply absorb the neutron.

Nuclear reactions have to conserve both energy and momentum. When you only have one product it's not possible to conserve both except when the reactants have the right kinetic energies. Thus nuclear reactions with only 1 product tend to be rare. For instance why the d+d = He-4 reaction is also rare.

Related to Exploring the Curious Case of He-3 Neutron Absorption and Fission into H-3 and H

1. What is He-3 neutron absorption and fission?

He-3 neutron absorption and fission is a process in which a He-3 atom captures a neutron and splits into two smaller atoms, H-3 and H. This process releases a large amount of energy and is commonly used in nuclear power plants.

2. What is the significance of exploring this curious case?

Exploring the curious case of He-3 neutron absorption and fission can provide valuable insights into the behavior of nuclear reactions and help us better understand and improve nuclear energy technology.

3. How does the absorption and fission of He-3 differ from other nuclear reactions?

Unlike other nuclear reactions, He-3 neutron absorption and fission involves the splitting of an atom into two smaller atoms, rather than the merging of two or more atoms. This results in a different type of energy release and can have unique characteristics and applications.

4. What is the potential for practical applications of this research?

The potential for practical applications of this research includes improving nuclear energy efficiency and safety, developing new nuclear technologies, and furthering our understanding of nuclear physics and reactions.

5. How do scientists study He-3 neutron absorption and fission?

Scientists study He-3 neutron absorption and fission through experiments, computer simulations, and theoretical calculations. This allows them to observe and analyze the behavior of the atoms and their reactions, and make predictions and advancements in this field.