Exploring the Hilbert Cube: Understanding its "Cubelike" Nature

In summary, the hilbert cube is named as such because it is homeomorphic to I^inf and can be defined as the product [0,1]^{\mathbb{N}} with the product topology. It can also be defined using the subset of l^2 space given by 0<x_n<1/n. Some prefer to define it as [0,1] x [0,1/2] x [0,1/3] x ... x [0, 1/n] x ..., while others use the product of any closed intervals. Those working in a hilbert space typically prefer the former definition as it is isometric to a subspace of itself.
Cincinnatus
So, what exactly is "cubelike" about the hilbert cube?

I think I am having trouble "visualizing" it. Is it just called that because it it homeomorphic to I^inf. ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I realize there are different ways of defining the hilbert cube, so this question probably doesn't make much sense.

My class defined it to be the subset of l^2 space given by 0<x_n<1/n (actually less than or equal to).

the hilbert cube is the product [tex] [0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/tex] with the product topology. if you take the product of just 3 of them it looks like a cube, hence the name. some people like to define it as [0,1] x [0,1/2] x [0,1/3] x ... x [0, 1/n] x ... just because it's easier to work with, but it doesn't really matter since all closed intervals are homeomorphic to [0,1]

Last edited:
actually a cube is a product of any closed intervals. someone working in a hilbert space would rather use [0,1] x [0,1/2] x [0,1/3] x ... x [0, 1/n] x ... as the definition since it is isometric, rather than just homeomorphic, to a subspace of itself.

Related to Exploring the Hilbert Cube: Understanding its "Cubelike" Nature

1. What is the Hilbert Cube?

The Hilbert Cube is a mathematical construct named after German mathematician David Hilbert. It is an infinite-dimensional space that is formed by taking the Cartesian product of an infinite number of unit intervals.

2. Why is it called a "cube"?

The Hilbert Cube is called a "cube" because it has a similar structure to a regular cube in 3-dimensional space. Just as a regular cube is formed by stacking smaller cubes together, the Hilbert Cube is formed by stacking smaller unit intervals together in an infinite-dimensional space.

3. How is the Hilbert Cube different from a regular cube?

The Hilbert Cube is different from a regular cube in several ways. Firstly, it exists in an infinite-dimensional space, while a regular cube exists in 3-dimensional space. Additionally, the Hilbert Cube has a more complex and irregular structure, as it is formed by an infinite number of unit intervals rather than a set number of equal sides.

4. What is the significance of exploring the Hilbert Cube?

Exploring the Hilbert Cube allows us to better understand the concept of infinite-dimensional spaces and how they compare to regular finite-dimensional spaces. It also has applications in areas such as topology, geometry, and fractal geometry.

5. How is the Hilbert Cube relevant in real-world applications?

The Hilbert Cube has been used in various real-world applications, such as modeling the behavior of chaotic systems, analyzing the structure of DNA, and understanding the complexity of financial markets. It also has implications in computer science, as it is used in algorithms for optimization and data compression.