Exploring the Nature of Space and Time

In summary, the latest theories of cosmology suggest that space may not have any objective existence, and that the properties of space (and time) may vary depending on the gravitational field strength.
Chronos said:
Permeability and permissivity are derived properties of electromagnetic fields. It is probably safe to say that all of 'space' is embedded in electromagnetic fields. I prefer the classical definition of 'space' - the volume between particles of matter. It is interesting to note that even particles of matter are vastly more empty than 'solid'.

Volume works in so many ways when thinking of a static space relative to solid matter and counted second by second measuring for changes. Electromagnetic radiation, a dilating area, our yard stick in space, and electromagnetic fields, also a dilating area, our yard stick of matter are the two motions that makes our one "now". One volume with duration is how we measure time and see space.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I felt a little foolish asking these questions, but I seem to be asking similar questions as Einstein in 1920 and 1924 even after his theories of relativity:

Please see the section "Einstein's later views"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_space_and_time

Chronos Re: "Permeability and permissivity are derived properties of electromagnetic fields."
Are they not also Physical properties of free space? In a similar way to mass being a Physical property of ponderable matter? Or am I completely off tack?

Also wouldn't G be another Physical property of space?

Last edited: