Exploring Time near a Black Hole

In summary: This might not make sense at first, but think about it this way. When you're outside the event horizon, you're still moving at the same speed as the black hole. However, because time is slowing down for you, everything looks frozen. Objects that are close to the event horizon will appear to have stopped moving, even if they're still moving. This is due to the fact that light can't escape the black hole, so everything near it is drawn in. Now, time might still be moving for the people on Earth. It might be happening slower for them, or it might be happening at a different rate. But from the perspective of an outside observer, time seems to have stopped for everyone inside
iRaid
Hello everyone, I'm interested in knowing something about black holes. I was wondering how time can speed up when you're near a black hole? Do you feel it or is it actually faster.. Can someone explain this because I can't wrap my head around how it can speed up time. It has to do with the event horizon where it just seems like someone stopped there, but is it actually that slow for something that goes into it?

I do know that large masses can make time speed up or look like it, but please explain better.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Time is relative. Near a black hole, the photons emitted by an approaching object are time dilated in the opposite direction. Redshift is the other consequence. Redshift and time dilation are different manifestations of the same underlying effect.

Actually time is slowing down. The closer you get to the speed of light, the more time slows down, this is called time dilation, the reason time slows down is because since the speed of light is the universal speed limit, the only way to prevent you from passing it is for time to slow down. So the faster you go the more time slows down. And also the higher the gravitational field the more slower time ticks relative to other regions of time. So for example as a theoretical experiment, let's say you put four people in a spaceship and put them next to a black hole just outside the event horizon but not so close so that they get pulled in. If you have them orbit it for a year, when they come back to earth, it will be the future, now depending on the mass of the black hole and the time spent next to it i think how much farther in the future it will be depends. But in this case i think it will be about 10 years in time will have passed on Earth versus the people in the spaceship next to the black hole for a year.
I don't think i dwelled too much into the black hole part but i hoped i helped a little, check out this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

Also to answer your questions more clearly, to the people near the black hole, even if time is slowing down, it seems regular to them. But to the observer, if the spaceship full of people went towards the event horizon it would looked like there frozen in time. And as in the doppler effect and blue shift and redshift, if you don't already know it try looking it up, to the observer it might look like there going slow or faster as they orbit around the black hole. But then that also goes into the observer effect, look into that too. You tell me if i took it too far discussing this, sorry its so long :D

Thanks for the answer, I never knew about the gravitational redshift, but now that I do, it seems to be clearer.

Thank you.

Chronos : " Redshift and time dilation are different manifestations of the same underlying effect . "

well i thought that according to doppler effect if a body moves with the speed of the wave and in the direction opposite to that of the wave ...then the wave can never reach the observer...so the same should apply for light...but according to relativity light still reaches the observer due to the observer...
now can u explain what u said...sorry if i am going against any rules by asking like this... thnks still

Redshift is not unlike a soccer ball caught by a retreating goalie. The velocity of the retreating goalie makes the energy of the ball appear less than the kick velocity.

Here you go, redshift and time dilation are much more different, what is very similar is the doppler effect and redshift, it's just that one has to do with sound and one has to do with light. In the future if you want to look something up, i reccomend using wikipedia, that's where i find a lot of my physics ideology
Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

Here you go, redshift and time dilation are much more different, what is very similar is the doppler effect and redshift, it's just that one has to do with sound and one has to do with light. In the future if you want to look something up, i reccomend using wikipedia, that's where i find a lot of my physics ideology
Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

Black holes are one of my favorite things to ask about. If you were about to go into a black hole, a couple things may happen. One: you will be stretched heavily (and probably ripped apart) due to the immense gravity to a certain point. Two: You will then be squished together, if anything of you is left from being stretched. and Three: You will be sucked and destroyed by the black hole, never to return. In the event horizon is where you are out of luck my friend. Actually, getting anywhere close to a black hole even before the event horizon is going to do this, because with our speed of rockets, we could not escape if we got too close.

Pardon my failed attempt to provide an analogy in classical physics. I am aware of the differences. GR applies complex corrections to its classical equivalent in the high energy realm.

as it is understood to me time is relative/temporal. time is more a tool of the mind to organize/rationalize movement or change.

Last edited:
the time actually does not slow down with respect to the person entering the black hole.
but the person waiting from out side sees it as the person enter event horizon but never will see the person enter the hole because after the event horizon the light con not escape and the wave length of light is increased

Chronos said:
Time is relative. Near a black hole, the photons emitted by an approaching object are time dilated in the opposite direction. Redshift is the other consequence. Redshift and time dilation are different manifestations of the same underlying effect.

Are you saying that, in addition to the observer finding that the subject on the event horizon appears to move slowly, the subject on the event horizon will also appear to be redder? If that's true, will the observer appear to be blue from the subject's point of view, since photons will be entering the gravitational field?

The outside universe will indeed appear blue shifted and time contracted to the infalling observer.

Related to Exploring Time near a Black Hole

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a large star collapses in on itself and becomes extremely dense.

2. How does time near a black hole differ from time on Earth?

Time near a black hole is affected by its intense gravitational pull, causing it to slow down significantly. This phenomenon is known as time dilation. This means that time near a black hole moves slower compared to time on Earth.

3. Can we physically explore time near a black hole?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to physically explore time near a black hole. The intense gravitational forces and radiation make it extremely dangerous for any spacecraft or human to approach a black hole.

4. How does the curvature of space-time near a black hole affect objects?

The strong gravitational pull of a black hole causes space-time to curve significantly, which can affect the motion of objects near it. As an object gets closer to a black hole, it will experience a stronger gravitational force and may eventually get pulled into the black hole.

5. Can we use black holes to travel through time?

While some theories suggest that black holes could potentially be used for time travel, it is currently not possible with our current technology. The intense gravitational forces and unknown properties of black holes make it a highly complex and theoretical concept.