Extended essay about PEM fuel cells

In summary, there are several potential topics for an extended essay on PEM fuel cells that can be easily constrained to the core of physics. Some suggestions include investigating the effects of electromagnetic fields, catalysts, and water content on PEM fuel cells, as well as analyzing the efficiency and economics of this alternative energy source. Other potential topics involve studying the impact of design, temperature, and gas flow on PEM fuel cell performance.
swe91
I am doing the IB and have an extended essay to write. I intend to write it in Physics.
I am thinking of doing something with my PEM fuel cell. However, I've found it hard to constrain the topic into the core of physics as fuel cell theory is mostly electrical chemistry.
Any suggestions for a EE about PEM fuel cells?
Efficiency? -theoretical vs practical? Investigation the effect on temperature?
Gas flow? Pressure, temp, Bernoulli's formula?

Any other suggestion for topic that is easier to constrain to hard physics?
My teacher here in sweden is not very experienced with EE, but I am really interested in physics. I am doing physics HL ( equivalent to A levels or AP), so don't be afraid to give me challenging topics!

Thanks in advance

David

Physics news on Phys.org
Some other suggestions for topics that could be easier to constrain to hard physics may include:1. Investigating the effect of electromagnetic fields on PEM fuel cells.2. An analysis of the efficiency of PEM fuel cells under different environmental conditions.3. A comparison of the efficiency of PEM fuel cells and other alternative energy sources.4. An exploration of the effect of catalysts on PEM fuel cell performance. 5. A study of the effect of varying gas pressure on PEM fuel cell operation. 6. An analysis of the impact of PEM fuel cell design on efficiency. 7. An investigation into the effect of water content on PEM fuel cell performance. 8. A comparison of the economics of PEM fuel cells and other alternative energy sources. 9. An exploration of the effects of different temperature ranges on PEM fuel cell performance. 10. A study of the effect of different gas flow rates on PEM fuel cell efficiency.

One potential topic for your extended essay on PEM fuel cells could be to investigate the efficiency of the fuel cell and compare the theoretical efficiency to the practical efficiency. This could involve researching the underlying principles of fuel cell operation and calculating the theoretical efficiency based on these principles. Then, you could conduct experiments to measure the practical efficiency and compare the results to the theoretical values. This would involve using physics concepts such as thermodynamics and energy conversion.

Another idea could be to investigate the effect of temperature on the performance of PEM fuel cells. This could involve varying the temperature and measuring the efficiency and power output of the fuel cell, and then analyzing the data to determine the optimal temperature for maximum efficiency. You could also research the physics behind why temperature affects fuel cell performance and discuss potential solutions for improving performance at different temperatures.

Alternatively, you could explore the physics behind gas flow in PEM fuel cells. This could involve studying the principles of fluid dynamics, such as Bernoulli's equation, and applying them to analyze the gas flow within the fuel cell. You could also investigate the effects of varying gas flow rates, pressures, and temperatures on the performance of the fuel cell.

Overall, there are many potential topics within the realm of PEM fuel cells that could be constrained to the core principles of physics. It would be beneficial to consult with your physics teacher or other experts in the field to discuss and refine your ideas. Good luck with your extended essay!

Related to Extended essay about PEM fuel cells

1. What is a PEM fuel cell?

A PEM (Proton Exchange Membrane) fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. It uses a polymer electrolyte membrane as a proton conductor and operates at relatively low temperatures.

2. How does a PEM fuel cell work?

A PEM fuel cell works by separating hydrogen and oxygen gas with the help of an anode and cathode. The hydrogen gas is introduced to the anode side of the cell, where it is split into protons and electrons. The protons pass through the polymer electrolyte membrane to the cathode side, while the electrons travel through an external circuit, generating electricity. The protons and electrons then combine with oxygen on the cathode side, producing water as a byproduct.

3. What are the advantages of PEM fuel cells?

PEM fuel cells have several advantages, including high energy efficiency, low emissions, and quiet operation. They are also lightweight, compact, and have a fast start-up time, making them suitable for a variety of applications such as powering vehicles, homes, and portable devices.

4. What are the limitations of PEM fuel cells?

One limitation of PEM fuel cells is their reliance on hydrogen as a fuel source. Hydrogen is a highly flammable and expensive gas, and the infrastructure for its production, storage, and distribution is not yet widely available. Additionally, PEM fuel cells are sensitive to impurities and require pure hydrogen to operate efficiently.

5. How are PEM fuel cells being used in the real world?

PEM fuel cells are currently being used in a variety of applications, including powering cars, buses, and forklifts. They are also being used in stationary power systems for backup and off-grid power, as well as in portable devices such as laptops and smartphones. Ongoing research and development are also exploring the potential for using PEM fuel cells in larger-scale applications, such as powering entire cities.