Exterior Power of Linear Transformation

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of linear transformations and calculating the exterior power of a given matrix. The problem was to find the trace of the linear transformation \(\wedge^2(f)\) with a given matrix \(A\). The conversation ended with a summary of the solution, including the characteristic polynomial and the resulting trace value of 11.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

I don't understand how to use the given linear transformation so as to calculate the exterior power of \(V\); \(\wedge^2(f)\). I hope you can help me with this. :)

Problem:

Find the trace of the linear transformation \(\wedge^2(f)\), if \(f\) is given by the matrix,

\[A=\begin{pmatrix}1&1&0\\0&2&2\\0&0&3\end{pmatrix}\]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

I don't understand how to use the given linear transformation so as to calculate the exterior power of \(V\); \(\wedge^2(f)\). I hope you can help me with this. :)

Problem:

Find the trace of the linear transformation \(\wedge^2(f)\), if \(f\) is given by the matrix,

\[A=\begin{pmatrix}1&1&0\\0&2&2\\0&0&3\end{pmatrix}\]

I think I got this one covered. Let me know if you see any mistakes. :)

For a \(n\times n\) matrix \(A\) the characteristic polynomial is given by the general formula,

\[P_{A}(\lambda)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\lambda^{n-k}(-1)^{n-k}\mbox{tr}(\wedge^k A)\]

Therefore for a \(3\times 3\) matrix this reduces to,

\[P_{A}(\lambda)=-\lambda^3+\mbox{tr}(\wedge A)\lambda^2-\mbox{tr}(\wedge^2 A)\lambda+\mbox{tr}(\wedge^3 A)\]

Now if we write the characteristic polynomial of \(A\) we get,

\[P_{A}(\lambda)=(1-\lambda)(2-\lambda)(3-\lambda)=-\lambda^2+6\lambda^2-11\lambda+6\]

Therefore,

\[\mbox{tr}(\wedge^2 A)=11\]

Last edited:

Related to Exterior Power of Linear Transformation

1. What is the exterior power of a linear transformation?

The exterior power of a linear transformation is a mathematical concept that describes the action of a linear transformation on a vector space. It is also known as the exterior algebra or the Grassmann algebra.

2. How is the exterior power different from the regular power of a linear transformation?

The exterior power is different from the regular power of a linear transformation because it involves the use of exterior products instead of traditional scalar multiplication. This allows for a more generalized and flexible approach to describing the action of a linear transformation.

3. What are the applications of the exterior power of a linear transformation?

The exterior power of a linear transformation has applications in various fields such as geometry, physics, and computer science. It is used to describe geometric concepts like oriented area and volume, as well as in the study of quantum mechanics and computer graphics.

4. How is the exterior power calculated?

The exterior power of a linear transformation can be calculated using the exterior product of the transformation's matrix. This involves taking the determinant of a matrix that is constructed using the basis vectors of the vector space and the transformation's matrix.

5. Can the exterior power of a linear transformation be negative?

No, the exterior power of a linear transformation cannot be negative. Since it involves taking the determinant of a matrix, which is always a positive or zero value, the exterior power of a linear transformation will always be non-negative.