Extra help in filing/sharpening a blade?

• Wood/Glass/Metal
  • Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
In summary: Q1Pw1jQmZkIn summary, using a coolant is the preferred method for sharpening blades to avoid heating and annealing the steel. Chemical etching can be used for sharpening old metal files, but it may cause the edge to become more rounded and the polished sides to develop a mat finish. It is important to protect the cutting edges from the acid and to properly clean the blade afterwards. Additional resources for sharpening blades are available online.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
Would there be additional help when filing/sharpening a blade by using extra kits
Would there be additional help when filing/sharpening a blade by using extra kits such as, Imho, isn't it better use a bit of acid/alkaline rather than just nothing, ie. neutral water, or other better suitable chemical liquid ?

Note: I'm zero in such knowledge, just came up in mind when working that in lot pain so to ask here now

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most sharpening is done with a coolant because heating and annealing a steel blade must be avoided. The problem with chemical etching a blade is that the chemical attacks the edge more than the flat face, so it becomes more rounded. The polished sides of the blade may develop a mat finish, which may be difficult to clean and so pose a health hazard.

I only know one situation where a chemical is used to sharpen a cutter. When you need to sharpen an old metal file, use it, then do not clean it before you pickle it overnight in acid. The metal that will be attacked by the acid, will be the bare and rounded part of the teeth. The clogged grooves will protect the cutting edges from attack.

abdulbadii said:
TL;DR Summary: Would there be additional help when filing/sharpening a blade by using extra kits

Would there be additional help when filing/sharpening a blade by using extra kits such as, Imho, isn't it better use a bit of acid/alkaline rather than just nothing, ie. neutral water, or other better suitable chemical liquid ?

Note: I'm zero in such knowledge, just came up in mind when working that in lot pain so to ask here now
What are you sharpening that is causing you pain? Knives, axes, chainsaws, files, ...?

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Step-by-Step-Knife-Sharpening-W41.aspx

Related to Extra help in filing/sharpening a blade?

1. How often should I file/sharpen my blade?

The frequency of filing/sharpening depends on the type of blade and how often it is used. Generally, it is recommended to file/sharpen a blade every 3-6 months for regular use, or more frequently for heavy use.

2. What tools do I need to file/sharpen a blade?

The tools needed for filing/sharpening a blade include a file or sharpening stone, a vice or clamp to hold the blade securely, and a honing guide (optional). It is also recommended to have protective gloves and eye wear.

3. How do I know when my blade needs to be filed/sharpened?

You can tell when a blade needs to be filed/sharpened by examining the blade for dullness or nicks. You can also test the sharpness by running your finger lightly along the edge of the blade - if it feels rough or catches on your skin, it is time to file/sharpen the blade.

4. Can I file/sharpen any type of blade?

Not all blades can be filed/sharpened. Some blades, such as serrated blades, require specialized tools and techniques for sharpening. It is important to research the specific type of blade you have and follow the proper filing/sharpening instructions.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when filing/sharpening a blade?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when filing/sharpening a blade. Always wear protective gloves and eye wear, and make sure the blade is securely held in a vice or clamp. Follow the proper techniques for filing/sharpening to avoid injury and damaging the blade.