Factorise a six-termed quadratic in ##a## and ##x##

• Thread starter brotherbobby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
##\text{Resolve into two or more factors}## : ##\quad\boldsymbol{a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)}##
Relevant Equations
Formulae : We have (1) ##a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)## and (2) ##ax\pm bx=x(a\pm b)##
1712771855041.png
Statement :
I copy and paste the problem as it appeared in the text.

Attempt : I confess I couldn't go much far at all. Here's my attempt below in ##\text{Autodesk Sketchbook}^{\circledR}##. The underlined , wavy underlined and box brackets below are my attempts to see what terms can be grouped.

1712772613560.png

No solutions exist but the answer does at the back of the text. I don't want to see it right now.

Request : A hint as to how to go about factorising it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is a a constant or a variable?

WWGD said:
Can't say for sure, but I don't think it matters.

WWGD said:
Let's assume it's a variable.

Likes WWGD
In the variable ##x##, it is a second order polynomial. Do you know how to use the quadratic formula? You can use it to factor it into two first degree polynomials in ##x##.
Alternatively, if you multiply it out and collect powers of ##a##, it is also a second order polynomial in ##a##. So you could do the same thing with ##a## as the variable.
I don't know if there is a reason to prefer one option over the other, but I tend to think of ##x## as the main variable and ##a## as a constant parameter.

FactChecker said:
I don't know if there is a reason to prefer one option over the other, but I tend to think of x as the main variable and a as a constant parameter.
Your method works, though I'd still be on the hunt for something cleaner, without having to use something that "lies ahead" as it were; in this case, quadratic equations. Let me start with the problem statement.

1712779714262.png
Problem statement :

Attempt :
Let us have ##\small{a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)=0\Rightarrow x=\dfrac{1-2a^2\pm\sqrt{(2a^2-1)^2-4a^2(a^2-1)}}{2a(a-1)}}## upon using the (well-known) quadratic formula.

The term under the square roots comes to be just 1.

Hence, ##x=\dfrac{1-2a^2\pm 1}{2a(a-1)}\Rightarrow x=-\dfrac{1+a}{a}\qquad (1)##,
upon taking the + sign and simplifying.

Taking the negative (-) sign and simplifying, ##x=-\dfrac{a}{a-1}\qquad (2)##

From (1) and (2) above, ##\quad ax+a+1=0\quad\text{and}\quad ax-x+a=0##

Multiplying, we obtain the factors : ##\quad\large{\boxed{(ax+a+1)(ax-x+a)=0}}\quad\Large{\color{green}{\checkmark}}##

1712780526875.png
This agrees with the answer in the text.

Thank you @FactChecker, but I wonder if there's a more straightforward method, reminiscent of factorising expressions from school algebra where one didn't have to put the expression to 0 to solve for ##x##.

brotherbobby said:
I wonder if there's a more straightforward method, reminiscent of factorising expressions from school algebra
Like this:
##a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)##
##=a(a-1)(x^2+\frac {2a^2-1} {a(a-1)}x+\frac {a(a+1)}{a(a-1)})##
##=a(a-1)(x^2+\frac {a^2+a^2-1} {a(a-1)}x+\frac {a(a+1)}{a(a-1)})##
##=a(a-1)(x^2+\frac {a^2} {a(a-1)}x+\frac {a^2-1} {a(a-1)}x+\frac {a(a+1)}{a(a-1)})##
##=a(a-1)(x^2+\frac {a} {a-1}x+\frac {a+1} {a}x+\frac {a(a+1)}{a(a-1)})##
##=a(a-1)((x+\frac {a} {a-1})x+(x+\frac {a} {a-1})\frac {a+1}a)##
##=a(a-1)(x+\frac {a} {a-1})(x+\frac {a+1}a)##
##=((a-1)x+a)(ax+(a+1))##
?

Likes MatinSAR and brotherbobby
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement: ##\text{Resolve into two or more factors}## : ##\quad\boldsymbol{a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)}##
Relevant Equations: Formulae : We have (1) ##a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)## and (2) ##ax\pm bx=x(a\pm b)##

View attachment 343118Statement : I copy and paste the problem as it appeared in the text.

Attempt : I confess I couldn't go much far at all. Here's my attempt below in ##\text{Autodesk Sketchbook}^{\circledR}##. The underlined , wavy underlined and box brackets below are my attempts to see what terms can be grouped.
Yes, it can be factored by grouping.

Notice that ##\displaystyle \ 2a^2-1 = a^2 + (a^2-1) =a^2 + (a-1)(a+1) \ .##

Group as follows:

##\displaystyle \quad a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)=a(a-1)x^2+a^2\,x + (a-1)(a+1)x+a(a+1) ##

##\displaystyle \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad =((a-1)x+a)\,ax + ((a-1)\,x+a)(a+1) ##

etc.

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR
brotherbobby said:
Your method works, though I'd still be on the hunt for something cleaner, without having to use something that "lies ahead" as it were; in this case, quadratic equations.
People who have put no information in their profile often post questions where it is impossible to know what their background is and what material they have already covered versus "lies ahead". As far as "cleaner", see my later comment.
brotherbobby said:
View attachment 343123This agrees with the answer in the text.
Good.
brotherbobby said:
Thank you @FactChecker, but I wonder if there's a more straightforward method,
I know that you didn't mean to, but that hits a nerve with me.
For "clean" and "straightforward", it is hard to beat this:
1) Notice that it's second order
2) Use the quadratic equation.
3) Do routine math to get the answer.
We can see in two seconds that it can be done and how to do it.
brotherbobby said:
reminiscent of factorising expressions from school algebra where one didn't have to put the expression to 0 to solve for ##x##.
There is a very close connection between the factors of an expression and solving for the zeros.
It's possible to learn a million tricks from school algebra and underestimate the basics.

Last edited:
Likes docnet
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement: ##\text{Resolve into two or more factors}## : ##\quad a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)##
This can also be factored as a quadratic in ##a## .

Using your ##\displaystyle \text{Autodesk Sketchbook}^{\circledR} ## image we get

##\quad a(a-1)x^2+(2a^2-1)x+a(a+1)##

##\displaystyle \quad =(x^2+2x+1)a^2-(x^2-1)a-x##

##\displaystyle \quad =(x+1)^2 a^2+(1-x)(x+1)a-x##

##\displaystyle \quad =((x+1)a+1)((x+1)a-x)##

SammyS said:

Using your ##\displaystyle \text{Autodesk Sketchbook}^{\circledR} ## image we get

That's why I had asked whether a was a constant. It wouldn't make much sense to solve for it if it was.

SammyS said:

Can you tell me @SammyS how you factored the second last step to go to the last one?

Let me copy and paste those two steps for you as an image below.

1712901824939.png

Many thanks.

@brotherbobby I’m not sure if anyone has solved it this way before.
We initially divide by ##a(a-1)##, and ultimately, we multiply by the same factor, ##a(a-1)##.
$$x^2 + \dfrac {a^2+(a-1)(a+1)}{a(a-1)}x+\dfrac {a+1}{a-1}=0$$ $$x^2 + (\dfrac {a}{a-1}+\dfrac {a+1}{a})x+\dfrac {a+1}{a-1}=0$$ $$(x+\dfrac {a}{a-1})(x+\dfrac {a+1}{a})=0 $$ Finally: $$ (xa-x+a)(xa+a+1)=0 $$

brotherbobby said:
factored the second last step to go to the last one?
I'd do it so:
##=(x+1)^2 a^2+(1-x)(x+1)a-x##
##=(x+1)^2 a^2+(x+1)a-x(x+1)a-x##
##=((x+1)a+1)(x+1)a-((x+1)a+1)x##
##=((x+1)a+1)((x+1)a-x)##

BTW, here is a nice factorizing puzzle for practice:
Find two 4-digit numbers that multiply to give ##4^8 + 6^8 + 9^8##.

Likes MatinSAR
brotherbobby said:
Can you tell me @SammyS how you factored the second last step to go to the last one?
Another way is to use identity of a common term: ##t^2+(a+b)t+ab=(t+a)(t+b)##
$$t \to (x+1)a$$ $$a \to 1 $$ $$ b \to -x$$ $$(x+1)^2 a^2+(1-x)(x+1)a-x= ((x+1)a+1)((x+1)a -x)$$

brotherbobby said:

Let me copy and paste those two steps for you as an image below.

View attachment 343214

Many thanks.
You asked how to go from

##\displaystyle \quad (x+1)^2 a^2+(1-x)(x+1)a-x##

to

##\displaystyle \quad ((x+1)a+1)((x+1)a-x)##

You have mentioned using grouping to factor in the OP. That's what @Hill uses in Post #16.

Adding some detail to doing the grouping:
First you need to split the "middle term", ##\displaystyle \quad (1-x)(x+1)a\ \quad## into two terms. The leading term (the ##a^2## term) has two factors of ##(x+1)\,,## so in the middle term, you need to split ##(1-x)## factor, keeping the ##(x+1) ## factor. This gives you the following.

##\displaystyle \quad (x+1)^2 a^2+(1)(x+1)a-x(x+1)a-x##

From this point, continue as @Hill did.

Hill said:
##=((x+1)a+1)(x+1)a-((x+1)a+1)x##

##=((x+1)a+1)((x+1)a-x)##

Last edited: