Faraday's law(teaching my self)

• Thread starter mgompert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, the conversation is about determining the size of the field coil and induction coil, as well as the necessary speed, for a self-exciting generator to produce 70 kilowatts. The equation mentioned is Faraday's law, which involves the number of windings, voltage, and change in magnetic field. There is confusion about whether the area in the formula refers to the field coil or induction coil, and whether the output should be in watts or volts. The number of windings in the stator coil is estimated to be 60,000, and the formula for using electromagnets as motors is also mentioned. The conversation also includes a question about how to calculate the current (in amps) that will come out of
mgompert

Homework Statement

I am trying to work out the size of the field coil in a self-exciting generator as well as the size of the induction coil and the speed it all has to move

Homework Equations

I think Faraday's law is what I need but I am not sure I am not a physics student so finding the right equations and knowing what the symbols mean on the ones I do find has me hung up at the moment
so:
number of windings = -1*(-voltage/change in (( tesla * area meters squared)/ seconds))

The Attempt at a Solution

if the generator could make 70 kilowatts that would be great, but in the formula is the area of the coil the area of the field coil or the induction coil, and how much current would come out of this? shouldent it be watts and not volts?

Physics news on Phys.org
so the number of windings in the stator coil should be 60,000
if the voltage is 120 and the teslas of the magnets are 1 and the area of the magnetic field is one centimeter and if the field is moving at .2
-1*(-120/(1*.01)/.2)
then to use electromagnets as the motors the formula is:
B * gap = Mu * N * I
where:
B is in Tesla (10,000 gauss)
gap is in meters (This is the opening of the "C ".)
Mu = 4π * 10-7
N is an integer equal to the number of turns in your coil
I is the current in Amps
so at 1 tesla and a gap of .01 meters and at 40 amps the electromagnets would need around 200 turns
is any of this right?
and how do I solve for how many amps will come out of the generator?
I have looked around and cannot find formula for amps outof the stator coil or for volts into the field coil

Related to Faraday's law(teaching my self)

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that explains the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It states that when a conductor moves through a magnetic field or when a magnetic field changes through a conductor, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in the conductor.

2. How is Faraday's Law applied in everyday life?

Faraday's Law has numerous applications in everyday life, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in the production of electricity through hydroelectric power, where moving water turns turbines surrounded by magnetic fields, inducing an EMF in the conductors.

3. What is the mathematical formula for Faraday's Law?

The mathematical formula for Faraday's Law is E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.

4. How is Faraday's Law related to Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law and states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field through a conductor increases, the induced current will create a magnetic field in the opposite direction to try to maintain the original magnetic flux.

5. Can Faraday's Law be used to create perpetual motion machines?

No, Faraday's Law states that the induced EMF is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux, which means that the generator will only produce electricity as long as there is a changing magnetic field or the conductor is moving. Therefore, it is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine using Faraday's Law.