Figuring out the correct number of permutations for a problem at work

In summary: However, we must subtract the 1 possibility that the person receives none of the 6 packages. Hence the answer is 729-1 = 728.So, in summary, the number of possible permutations for this scenario is 728. This can be calculated using the formula P(n,k) = n!/(n-k)! or by considering the 3 possibilities for each of the 6 packages and subtracting the 1 possibility of receiving none.
vaanwadilion
I'm trying to figure out a problem at work.

Last year my company sent out 6 pieces of direct mail. A person could have received any combination of 1-6 (received only #1, received #2,5,6, #1-6, etc.). They also could have responded to only one of them, but obviously had to receive the one they responded to. For instance, they couldn't respond to #5 if they never received it. They can also receive each piece only once, so couldn't have received #1 more than once. They also could have received any number of direct mail pieces and not responded to any of them.

I'm now trying to figure out what I believe is the number of possible permutations considering this scenario. I believe the problem would involve this formula:

P(n,k)=n!/(n−k)!

To be honest, I'm not great at math, so I have no idea if that's the formula I need or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi vaanwadilion! :smile:

Admittedly, combinatorics is not my strong side. But let's see what we can do.

There are 7 possibilities, either a person receives no package, 1 package,..., 6 packages. The number of ways a person can receive k packages is [itex]\binom{6}{k}[/itex].

Now, if a person received k packages, then there are 2k possibilities. Indeed every possibility corresponds to a subset of the k packages that he sends back. And there are 2k such subsets.

So, the total number of combinations is

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^6{2^k\binom{6}{k}}=1+2*6+4*15+8*20+16*15+32*6+64[/tex]

I hope that others will check this, as I easily make mistakes in these kinds of things...

Here's another way to approach the problem which yields the same result as micromass's solution and thereby establishes a combinatorial identity.

For each of the 6 packages, there are 3 possibilities:
(1) the person never receives it
(2) the person receives it but does not reply
(3) the person receives it and replies.

Therefore there are 3^6 = 729 possibilities.

Related to Figuring out the correct number of permutations for a problem at work

1. How do I determine the number of permutations for a problem at work?

To determine the number of permutations for a problem at work, you need to first identify the total number of items or options that can be arranged. Next, determine the number of items that will be arranged. Finally, use the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! to calculate the number of permutations, where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being arranged.

2. Can I use a calculator to find the number of permutations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the number of permutations. Many scientific calculators have a button or function specifically for calculating permutations, denoted as nPr. Alternatively, you can use a regular calculator to manually calculate nPr using the formula n! / (n-r)!.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations both involve arranging a set of items, but the main difference is that permutations take into account the order of the items, while combinations do not. In other words, permutations are concerned with how many ways a set of items can be arranged in a specific order, while combinations are concerned with how many ways a set of items can be selected without regard to the order.

4. Can I use permutations to solve real-world problems at work?

Yes, permutations can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems at work, such as determining the number of possible outcomes for a project, selecting a team from a pool of employees, or assigning tasks to team members. Permutations can also be used in fields such as finance, engineering, and statistics to solve complex problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using permutations to solve problems at work?

While permutations can be a powerful tool for solving problems at work, there are some limitations to keep in mind. Permutations assume that all items are distinct and can be arranged in any order. Additionally, permutations can become computationally intensive for large numbers, so it may not always be feasible to use them for every problem at work.