Find area of the region bounded by the circular arc in 1st Quadrant

In summary, the conversation was about finding the area of a region in the first quadrant bounded by the x-axis, the line x = 2 and the circular arc x^2 + y^2 = 8. The conversation discussed different methods for solving the problem, including using Cartesian and polar coordinates. One method involved using the hint given in the question, while another involved using the double integral. Ultimately, the second method was deemed the easiest and most efficient way to solve the problem.
coolusername

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region in the first quadrant, which is bounded by the x-axis, the line x = 2 and the circular arc x^2 + y^2 = 8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't use the hint given in the question but does my answer still makes sense. Did I set up the integral correctly? (My attempt is on the attachment)

Attachments

• Doc Apr 03, 2014, 936 PM.pdf
    373.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found it highly advisably in math to learn to do quick/simple calculations where possible to check the sanity of more complex calculations. It is trivially easy in this case. Takes about 2 seconds.

What is the area of the entire circle? What is the portion of that area that is in one quadrant. How does that figure compare with your answer? How should it compare with your answer?

This technique won't always be convincing that your answer is right or wrong but in this particular case I'd say it IS convincing that your answer is either (1) obviously very close to what has to be right or (2) obviously wrong. You do the math :smile:

Ok. So the area of the circle is 8pi. The area of the square inside the circle would be 16. Subtracting that from each other would give 8pi - 16 to give the area inside the circle not containing the square. We want the 1st quadrant so (8pi - 16)/4 = 2pi - 4. The square in the first quadrant is 2 x 2 = 4. The area inside the 1st quadrant excluding the square is 2pi - 4. But the area asked would also include the area inside the circle and larger than y =2. This the area inside the 1st quadrant is 4 + pi - 2 = pi + 2

Kinda took longer than 2 seconds. But I guess it works.

coolusername said:
Ok. So the area of the circle is 8pi. The area of the square inside the circle would be 16. Subtracting that from each other would give 8pi - 16 to give the area inside the circle not containing the square. We want the 1st quadrant so (8pi - 16)/4 = 2pi - 4. The square in the first quadrant is 2 x 2 = 4. The area inside the 1st quadrant excluding the square is 2pi - 4. But the area asked would also include the area inside the circle and larger than y =2. This the area inside the 1st quadrant is 4 + pi - 2 = pi + 2

Kinda took longer than 2 seconds. But I guess it works.

Yeah, I don't know why you did what you did, but it definitely is the hard way. Just do exactly what I said. Take the area of the whole circle, which is, trivially, 8pi. Take 1/4 of that which is 2pi. Compare that (about 6.3) to your answer of pi + 2 (about 5.2) and you see that your answer is a bit less than the area of the circle portion in that quadrant, which is just what it should be. Took about 2 seconds. WAY longer to explain than to do.

coolusername said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region in the first quadrant, which is bounded by the x-axis, the line x = 2 and the circular arc x^2 + y^2 = 8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't use the hint given in the question but does my answer still makes sense. Did I set up the integral correctly? (My attempt is on the attachment)

From your sketch, it looks like you're finding the wrong area.

The area you're finding is bounded by the y-axis (x = 0), x = 2 and the arc.

The area they want you to find is bounded by the x-axis (y = 0), x = 2 and the arc.

EDIT: also, from the attachment, you're expected to use polar coordinates. You don't seem to be doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also says to find the area in the 1st quadrant. Which implies that the area is bounded by the x-axis, y-axis and the circular arc.

The only way I can use polar coordinates is by setting theta with the range [pi/4 , pi/2] from x = 0 to x = 2. Then I add a second integral which can be solved by the line y = x from x = o to x = 2.

However, I still don't know any way to use the integral with 1/cos^2(u).

Do you(or anybody) know how?

coolusername said:
It also says to find the area in the 1st quadrant. Which implies that the area is bounded by the x-axis, y-axis and the circular arc.

Then pray tell what the area in my attachment is supposed to represent?

The only way I can use polar coordinates is by setting theta with the range [pi/4 , pi/2] from x = 0 to x = 2. Then I add a second integral which can be solved by the line y = x from x = o to x = 2.

However, I still don't know any way to use the integral with 1/cos^2(u).

Do you(or anybody) know how?

Let the circle's radius (##\sqrt{8}##) be represented by ##R##.

There are three ways (at least) to find this area:

1) Use Cartesian coordinates and evaluate ##\displaystyle \int_2^R\sqrt{R^2-x^2}dx ##

2) Use Polar coordinates and evaluate ##\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{1}{2}R^2 d\theta ## then subtract off the area of the right triangle with vertices at ##\displaystyle (0,0)## , ##\displaystyle (2,0)## and ##\displaystyle (2,2)##.

3) Use Polar coordinates and directly evaluate the double integral ##\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \int_{\frac{2}{\cos\theta}}^R r dr d\theta##

All methods give the same answer. The second way is the easiest by far, giving a very quick answer. The last way is the only one that uses that hint, and it's presumably the one they want you to use. Can you see why the integral is set up the way it is?

Attachments

• plotcircle.png
    plotcircle.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 552
Likes 1 person
Oh wow...I guess I really screwed up. Thanks for clarifying.

Related to Find area of the region bounded by the circular arc in 1st Quadrant

1. What is the formula for finding the area of the region bounded by a circular arc in the 1st quadrant?

The formula for finding the area of this region is (1/2) * r^2 * theta, where r is the radius of the arc and theta is the angle formed by the arc and the x-axis.

2. How do you determine the radius and angle for the formula?

The radius can be determined by measuring the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the arc. The angle can be found by measuring the central angle formed by the arc and the x-axis.

3. Can the formula be used for any circular arc in the 1st quadrant?

Yes, the formula can be used for any circular arc in the 1st quadrant as long as the radius and angle are measured correctly.

4. What units should be used for the radius and angle in the formula?

The radius should be measured in units of length, such as meters or feet. The angle should be measured in radians or degrees, depending on the specific formula being used.

5. Is there a specific order in which the measurements should be entered into the formula?

Yes, the radius measurement should be entered first, followed by the angle measurement. This order ensures that the correct area is calculated.