Find Linear Equation: C=f(F) Temp Conversion

In summary, a linear equation is an algebraic equation with constants and variables, represented by a straight line on a graph. The slope can be found using the formula (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1) or by rearranging the equation into y = mx + b. The y-intercept represents the starting point of the line and can be interpreted as the initial value of a situation. Temperature conversion can be represented by a linear equation, such as C = (5/9)(F-32) for converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit. Linear equations can also be used to convert between other units of temperature, as long as the relationship is linear, such as K = C + 273.15 for converting between Celsius and
Teh
a. Find the linear C=f(F) that gives the reading the reading on the Celsius temperature scale corresponding to a reading on the Fahrenheit scale. Use the facts that C=0 when F=32 ​(freezing point) and C=100 when F=212 ​(boiling point).

b.At what temperature are the Celsius and Fahrenheit readings​ equal?*It is asking for a linear equation but so far i have slight idea that i have to use the idea of "f o g" and "g o f" or find the slope, after solving for the slope I used the point-slope to get the equation, but my answer is wrong...what I am doing wrong

my answer for part a is:

m = F2-F1\C2-C1 *slope intercept form*

m = 212-32/100-0 = 9/5

F-F1=m(C-C1) *point slope*

F-32 = 9/5(C-0)

F = 9/5C+32

MY ANSWER: 9/5C+32

*tried use the commands and symbols but didnt work for me*

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you are supposed to use the calculus here, I would begin with:

\(\displaystyle 9\,dC=5\,dF\)

Integrating (and using our known boundaries), we get:

\(\displaystyle 9\int_0^C\,du=5\int_{32}^F\,dv\)

Applying the FTOC, there results:

\(\displaystyle 9C=5(F-32)\)

Hence, solving for $C$, we obtain::

\(\displaystyle C(F)=\frac{5}{9}(F-32)\)

To answer part b), we need to solve:

\(\displaystyle C(F)=F\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{9}(F-32)=F\)

What do you get for $F$ here?

Teh said:
a. Find the linear C=f(F) that gives the reading the reading on the Celsius temperature scale corresponding to a reading on the Fahrenheit scale. Use the facts that C=0 when F=32 ​(freezing point) and C=100 when F=212 ​(boiling point).

b.At what temperature are the Celsius and Fahrenheit readings​ equal?*It is asking for a linear equation but so far i have slight idea that i have to use the idea of "f o g" and "g o f"
No, this has nothing to do with the composition of functions, there is only one function involved.

or find the slope, after solving for the slope I used the point-slope to get the equation, but my answer is wrong...what I am doing wrong

my answer for part a is:

m = F2-F1\C2-C1 *slope intercept form*
You mean m= (F2- F1)/(C2- C1), right?

m = 212-32/100-0 = 9/5

F-F1=m(C-C1) *point slope*

F-32 = 9/5(C-0)

F = 9/5C+32

MY ANSWER: 9/5C+32
You mean F= (9/5)C+ 32.

*tried use the commands and symbols but didnt work for me*
Perhaps that was because you were asked to find C as a function of F not the other way around! F- 32= (9/5)C so C= (5/9)(F- 32).

For the second question, "Celsius and Fahrenheit readings​ equal" when C= F= (5/9)(F- 32). Solve that equation for F.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find Linear Equation: C=f(F) Temp Conversion

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. The graph of a linear equation is a straight line.

2. How do you find the slope of a linear equation?

The slope of a linear equation can be found using the formula m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are any two points on the line. Alternatively, you can also find the slope by rearranging the equation into the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope.

3. What is the significance of the y-intercept in a linear equation?

The y-intercept in a linear equation is the value of y when x is equal to 0. It represents the starting point of the line and can be interpreted as the initial value or starting point of a situation.

4. How is temperature conversion represented in a linear equation?

In the equation C = f(F), C represents the temperature in degrees Celsius and F represents the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. The linear equation for converting between these two units is C = (5/9)(F-32).

5. Can you use a linear equation to convert between other units of temperature?

Yes, you can use a linear equation to convert between other units of temperature as long as the relationship between the units is linear. For example, you can use a linear equation to convert between Celsius and Kelvin by using the equation K = C + 273.15.