Find Nature of Stationary Point of y=e^(x/2)-ln(x)

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary: Since, ln(2)-0.5x is a deacreasing function ,and ln(x) is a increasing function with an horizontal asymptote of x=0.Therefore , there is only an intersection at coordinate (1.13429 , 0.126007) by Newton-raphson method.
icystrike

Homework Statement

Show that there is only one stationary point of the curve [tex]y=e^{x/2} - ln (x)[/tex], where x>0 and determine the nature of the stationary point.

My approach:

dy/dx = [tex] 0.5e^{x/2} - 1/x [/tex]

When dy/dx=0 For stationary point.

Thus, through algebraic manipulation,

[tex] ln(2)-0.5x=ln(x) [/tex]

Since,[tex] ln(2)-0.5x [/tex] is a deacreasing function ,

and [tex] ln(x) [/tex] is a increasing function with an horizontal asymptote of x=0.

Therefore , there is only an intersection at coordinate (1.13429 , 0.126007) by Newton-raphson method.

Correct me if I am wrong or please show me a prove that is more elegant.:frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to find a zero slope (where the derivative vanishes) not a root. I haven't worked this out yet myself, but your methodology looks correct to me.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
You are trying to find a zero slope (where the derivative vanishes) not a root. I haven't worked this out yet myself, but your methodology looks correct to me.

Thanks
Matt

A million thanks (=
Have a great day!

Remember you can always graph your original function before you perform any differentiation to see where there might be a slope of zero. This can be very helpful if you have a difficult function to diferentiate.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
Remember you can always graph your original function before you perform any differentiation to see where there might be a slope of zero. This can be very helpful if you have a difficult function to diferentiate.

Thanks
Matt

Noted (=

Oh wow... this looks quite elegant, if it's legitimate :smile:
I am completely lost on what you've done, and after seeing that for this equation, solving for x when dy/dx=0 cannot be done as simply as through my usual routine, I'm curious to what you've done.
If you don't mind, could you please elaborate on what the "through algebraic manipulation" actually involved and thus how you resulted in the next line?

dy/dx = [tex] 0.5e^{x/2} - 1/x [/tex]

When dy/dx=0 For stationary point.

Thus, through algebraic manipulation,

[tex] ln(2)-0.5x=ln(x) [/tex]

Related to Find Nature of Stationary Point of y=e^(x/2)-ln(x)

1. What is a stationary point?

A stationary point is a point on a curve where the gradient (or slope) is zero. This means that the curve is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

2. How do you find the nature of a stationary point?

To find the nature of a stationary point, you need to calculate the second derivative of the function at that point. If the second derivative is positive, the stationary point is a minimum point. If it is negative, the stationary point is a maximum point. If the second derivative is zero, further investigation is needed to determine the nature of the stationary point.

3. What is the function y=e^(x/2)-ln(x)?

The function y=e^(x/2)-ln(x) is an exponential function with base e, where e is approximately equal to 2.718. It also includes a natural logarithm function, ln(x), which gives the inverse of the exponential function.

4. How do you calculate the second derivative of a function?

To calculate the second derivative of a function, you first need to find the first derivative of the function using differentiation rules. Then, you can find the second derivative by differentiating the first derivative using the same rules.

5. What is the significance of finding the nature of a stationary point?

Knowing the nature of a stationary point is important in understanding the behavior of a function. It can help determine if a function has a maximum or minimum value, as well as the direction of the curve at that point. This information can also be useful in optimization problems and in graphing functions.