Find Scilab & MATLAB Help Forums | Converting Code & Programming Questions

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, the OP is looking for a MATLAB and/or Scilab forum to ask his question, but he has not been successful so far. He found a MATLAB forum that is no longer up and running, but the newest questions are quite old. He also found a list of MATLAB forums on a website.
DiracPool
Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a decent MATLAB and/or Scilab help forum(s). My programming question is specifically for Scilab, but I can't really find any Scilab forums. Since Scilab is a MATLAB alternative, though, I might be able to get what I'm looking for in a MATLAB forum.

Better than that, if you have some familiarity with Scilab please let me know. My question is related to my earlier post about a spiking neuron program.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/help-converting-matlab-to-scilab-code.1048647/

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a decent MATLAB and/or Scilab help forum(s).
Computational Science SE has a tag on Scilab. Their help page explicitly states:
Computational Science Stack Exchange is for questions and answers about computational methods used in technical disciplines.

Topics that are usually a good fit for this site:

Questions about software packages or languages used broadly in computational science (e.g., PETSc, MATLAB, Trilinos, LAPACK, SLEPc, R, NumPy, SciPy, Julia, Maple, Octave) except Mathematica (which has its own site now). In general, high-level questions (e.g., about language/package features) are best.
(Abridged by me)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Mathworks has extensive help and tutorials as well as user commentary for Matlab at their site;

www.mathworks.com

• Informative
Likes berkeman
jedishrfu said:
Mathworks has extensive help and tutorials as well as user commentary for Matlab at their site;

www.mathworks.com
Since the OP is facing compatibility issues in converting MATLAB code to Scilab, MathWorks will be of little help.

jedishrfu said:
If he finds something on mathworks then he could use the tool / function below to convert the Matlab code to scilab

https://help.scilab.org/docs/5.3.3/en_US/mfile2sci.html
The issue is, Mathworks will help out with MATLAB code. The OP will not be able to comment on the proposed solution's effectiveness without a MATLAB licence. MathWorks wants to know if the code runs natively in MATLAB rather than after conversion to Scilab. Anyway, the OP can surely give it a try, no harm in that.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Wrichik Basu said:
The issue is, Mathworks will help out with MATLAB code. The OP will not be able to comment on the proposed solution's effectiveness without a MATLAB licence. MathWorks wants to know if the code runs natively in MATLAB rather than after conversion to Scilab. Anyway, the OP can surely give it a try, no harm in that.
Yes, this was the case. I posted the question on "MATLAB central" on the Mathworks site. I actually got one response (which didn't help) before they shut down the commentary due to the question "not relating to Mathworks products."

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcen...ucing-empty-matrices?s_tid=mlc_ans_email_ques

I'm trying reddit and stack overflow, but the newest questions posted related to Scilab are often close to a year old, which isn't encouraging. Shame, because Scilab is really a cool app.

Btw, I found this site with a list of the "Top 10 MATLAB forums," and PhysicsForums was listed as #5!

1. What is Scilab and MATLAB?

Scilab and MATLAB are both programming languages and software platforms commonly used in scientific, engineering, and mathematical computing. They are designed for numerical analysis, data visualization, and creating and running mathematical models.

2. How can I find help forums for Scilab and MATLAB?

There are several online forums and communities dedicated to helping users with Scilab and MATLAB. Some popular options include the MATLAB Answers forum and the Scilab forum on Stack Overflow. Both of these platforms allow users to post their questions and receive answers and solutions from other members of the community.

3. Is it possible to convert code between Scilab and MATLAB?

Yes, it is possible to convert code between Scilab and MATLAB. Both languages have similar syntax and function names, so it is often a simple process of translating the code line by line. Additionally, there are also tools and converters available online that can assist with the conversion process.

4. What types of questions can I ask on a Scilab and MATLAB help forum?

You can ask any questions related to using Scilab and MATLAB, such as troubleshooting errors, optimizing code, and understanding specific functions and features. You can also seek advice on the best practices for coding in these languages or ask for recommendations on resources and tutorials.

5. Can I use Scilab and MATLAB for free?

Both Scilab and MATLAB offer free versions for personal and educational use. However, for commercial or enterprise use, a license is required. Additionally, some toolboxes and features may also require a separate license. It is best to check the official websites for the most up-to-date information on pricing and licensing options.