Find the angular acceleration of the rod

In summary: Let me make this a little bit clearer the rod is released from rest at 30 degrees. Now I don't have to worry about horizontal motion.The initial horizontal velocity of the CoM being zero does not entail that the horizontal accel of the CoM is zero.Further, if we take the centre of the quarter circle as the origin, then the x coordinate of the CoM of the rod is initially ##3\cdot(1-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})\approx 0.4##, whereas once the rod has fallen flat the x coordinate will be ##3\cdot(\sqrt{2}-1)\approx 1.2##. So the
lion_

Homework Statement

Given: ##\mu_B=0.52##

##\theta=30^{\circ}##

Weight- ##25## lb

##\omega=0##

## l=6## ft

##r_c=3\sqrt 2## radius of curvature.

Homework Equations

My Equations of motion are the following:

##\xleftarrow{+}\sum F_x=N_A\sin 60 - F_B=0##

##\downarrow{+} \sum F_y= N_A \cos 60-N_B+mg=m(a_G)_y##

##\circlearrowright + \sum M_G=2.60N_B-1.5F_B+2.60N_A\cos 60=I_G \alpha##

##(a_G)_y=\alpha r##

##I_G=\frac{1}{12}ml^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what ##r## to use for my ##(a_g)_Y## value
I have tried multipule values of ##r## such as 6,3 and ##r_c## none yield the correct answer.

Attachments

• Hibbeler14.ch17.p102a.jpg
    Hibbeler14.ch17.p102a.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
Why have you set the horizontal net force equal to zero in your first equation? As the rod falls, won't its centre of gravity move? For instance, the final centre of gravity will be further right than the centre of gravity when the rod's pivoting collar was at the very top of the quarter circle pipe.

Are you using ##a_G## to refer to the acceleration of the rod's centre of mass and ##(a_G)_y## to refer to the vertical component of that acceleration? If so, won't you just have ##(a_G)_y=\frac{l\alpha\cos\theta}{2}##, since the centre of mass is at radius ##\frac{l}{2}## from the (moving) point on the ground about which the rod is rotating?

andrewkirk said:
Why have you set the horizontal net force equal to zero in your first equation? As the rod falls, won't its centre of gravity move? For instance, the final centre of gravity will be further right than the centre of gravity when the rod's pivoting collar was at the very top of the quarter circle pipe.

Are you using ##a_G## to refer to the acceleration of the rod's centre of mass and ##(a_G)_y## to refer to the vertical component of that acceleration? If so, won't you just have ##(a_G)_y=\frac{l\alpha\cos\theta}{2}##, since the centre of mass is at radius ##\frac{l}{2}## from the (moving) point on the ground about which the rod is rotating?

Let me make this a little bit clearer the rod is released from rest at 30 degrees. Now I don't have to worry about horizontal motion.

The initial horizontal velocity of the CoM being zero does not entail that the horizontal accel of the CoM is zero.

Further, if we take the centre of the quarter circle as the origin, then the x coordinate of the CoM of the rod is initially ##3\cdot(1-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})\approx 0.4##, whereas once the rod has fallen flat the x coordinate will be ##3\cdot(\sqrt{2}-1)\approx 1.2##. So the CoM must move horizontally.

But at the instant theta is 30 degrees it is released from rest. So imagine a hand holding the rod and as soon as it is released the rod has no initial angular velocity. The normal component of the acceleration is obviously 0 at that instant but there is tangential acceleration of the rod.

The picture you see is the rod being released from rest at that angle.

Related to Find the angular acceleration of the rod

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod?

The angular acceleration of a rod can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the rod, and any external forces acting on the rod.

What is the equation for finding the angular acceleration of a rod?

The equation for finding the angular acceleration of a rod is alpha = (net torque) / (moment of inertia). This is known as Newton's second law for rotational motion.

How can angular acceleration be used in practical applications?

Angular acceleration is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate the motion and stability of rotating objects. It is also used in designing machines and structures that involve rotating components.