Find the area of a segment of a circle using integration

• Thread starter nafisanazlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Circle
nafisanazlee
Mentor note: Moved from a math technical section, so template is not present.
I was asked to calculate the area of the smaller section enclosed by the circle x²+y²-6x-8y-35=0 and the x axis. I've tried to solve it with geometry, using the x-intercepts and the centre of the circle I drew a triangle. Then by subtracting the area of triangle from the area of one particular sector I got the answer. But I couldn't do it with calculus, using the actual function. Can you help me with it? How do I approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nafisanazlee said:
I was asked to calculate the area of the smaller section enclosed by the circle x²+y²-6x-8y-35=0 and the x axis. I've tried to solve it with geometry, using the x-intercepts and the centre of the circle I drew a triangle. Then by subtracting the area of triangle from the area of one particular sector I got the answer. But I couldn't do it with calculus, using the actual function. Can you help me with it? How do I approach?
Complete the square in the x and y terms, and then isolate the factored y terms on one side. If you solve for y you will get two functions. One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral.

BTW, questions like this one should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond homework section, using the template. I'm going to move this thread to that section.

Likes nafisanazlee
Mark44 said:
Complete the square in the x and y terms, and then isolate the factored y terms on one side. If you solve for y you will get two functions. One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral.

BTW, questions like this one should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond homework section, using the template. I'm going to move this thread to that section.
Thanks for your reply. I actually tried this method but unfortunately this gives me two functions which are the upper half and the lower half of the circle. I get y = 4±√(-x²+6x+51). Could you tell me where I was making a mistake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-17-13-01-53-999_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2023-12-17-13-01-53-999_com.android.chrome.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 25
nafisanazlee said:
Thanks for your reply. I actually tried this method but unfortunately this gives me two functions which are the upper half and the lower half of the circle. I get y = 4±√(-x²+6x+51). Could you tell me where I was making a mistake?

That all looks good to me. Why do you think there's a mistake?

Likes nafisanazlee
PeroK said:
That all looks good to me. Why do you think there's a mistake?
Mark said- "One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral." But the latter one also contains some positive values of y. Anyways, I now understand using the latter one will give me the area. I was just a bit confused. Thanks for the clarification.

nafisanazlee said:
Mark said- "One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis. It's the latter of these that you want to use in the integral." But the latter one also contains some positive values of y. Anyways, I now understand using the latter one will give me the area. I was just a bit confused. Thanks for the clarification.
I would calculaute the area below the x-axis (as this is a single function) and then subtract that from the total area of a circle to get the area above the x-axis.

Likes nafisanazlee
nafisanazlee said:
Mark said- "One of the functions represents the y values above the x-axis and the other represents the y values below the x-axis...."
I erred in saying the above. One of the functions, the one that starts with "4 + ..." represents the part of the circle above the line y = 4. The other represents the part below that line. To get the area of the part of the circle below the x axis, integrate, with respect to x, between the two x-intercepts. Make sure you set up your integral correctly or you could get a negative value.

Likes nafisanazlee
Mark44 said:
I erred in saying the above. One of the functions, the one that starts with "4 + ..." represents the part of the circle above the line y = 4. The other represents the part below that line. To get the area of the part of the circle below the x axis, integrate, with respect to x, between the two x-intercepts. Make sure you set up your integral correctly or you could get a negative value.
Thank you so much.

You could also solve for ##x## as a function of ##y## and integrate with respect to ##y##. That's pretty straightforward as well.