Find the area of the region which is inside both...

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, to find the area of the region inside both r = 2 and r = 4sin(\theta), we can find the area of the right half and then multiply by 2 due to symmetry. This can be done by setting up the integral as \frac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_0\!\! (4\sin\theta)^2d\theta \,+\, \tfrac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{\frac{\pi}{6}}\!\!(2^2)\,d\theta. The final result is A = \frac{8\pi}{3} + 2.
shamieh
Find the area of the region which is inside both\(\displaystyle r = 2\) and \(\displaystyle r = 4sin(\theta)\)How do I set up this? would I do..

\(\displaystyle \int ^{2\pi}_0 \frac{1}{2} [ r ] ^2 dr\) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, shamieh!

Obviously, you didn't make a sketch . . .

Find the area of the region which is inside both
[tex] r = 2[/tex] and [tex]r = 4\sin\theta[/tex]

Code:
               4|
                |
      *        2|         *
      *   *:::::|:::::*   *
        *:::::::|:::::::*
       *::::::::|::::::::*
        *:::::::|:::::::*
      *   *:::::|:::::*   *
  - - * - - - * * * - - - * - -
                |
                |
[tex]r = 2\,\text{ is a circle with center at }(0,0)\text{ and radius 2.}[/tex]
[tex]r =4\sin\theta\,\text{ is a circle, center at }(0,2)\text{ and radius 2.}[/tex]

. . [I'm speaking in rectangular coordinates, obviously.]

The circles intersect at [tex]\theta = \tfrac{\pi}{6},\:\tfrac{5\pi}{6}[/tex]

Due to the symmetry, we can find the area of the right half
. . then multiply by 2.The area of the right half is:

. . [tex]\tfrac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{6}}_0\!\! (4\sin\theta)^2d\theta \,+\, \tfrac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{\frac{\pi}{6}}\!\!(2^2)\,d\theta [/tex]

Got it?

YES! Awesome explanation!

I ended up with \(\displaystyle A = -\sqrt{3}\) now do I need to multiply it by 2 since it's symmetrical? to get \(\displaystyle A =-2\sqrt{3}\)?

After setting up my integral properly I ended up with : \(\displaystyle A = \frac{8\pi}{3} + 2\) is that what you got?

Related to Find the area of the region which is inside both...

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a region that is inside both shapes?

The formula for finding the area of a region that is inside both shapes is to first find the area of each individual shape, and then subtract the area of the overlapping region. This can be represented by the equation: A = A1 + A2 - Aoverlap.

2. How do I determine which shape is inside the other?

In order to determine which shape is inside the other, you can compare the coordinates of the vertices of each shape. If the vertices of one shape are all contained within the boundaries of the other shape, then that shape is inside the other.

3. What if the two shapes overlap completely?

If the two shapes overlap completely, then the area of the region inside both shapes would be equal to the area of the smaller shape. This is because the entire area of the smaller shape would be contained within the larger shape, so there would be no overlapping region to subtract.

4. Can the two shapes have curved boundaries?

Yes, the two shapes can have curved boundaries. In this case, you would need to use calculus to find the area of each shape and the overlapping region. Then, you can use the same formula of A = A1 + A2 - Aoverlap to find the area of the region inside both shapes.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement that I should use for the area?

The unit of measurement used for the area will depend on the units of measurement used for the dimensions of the shapes. For example, if the dimensions are measured in feet, then the area would be in square feet. It is important to use consistent units of measurement throughout the calculation.