Find the Derivative of y = sqrt(x)(x - 1): Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter communitycoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of the function y = sqrt(x)(x - 1). The person has attempted to solve it using the product rule and got an answer of sqrt(x) + [(x - 1) / (2sqrt(x))], but does not understand where the 3 in the numerator comes from or where the sqrt(x) being added goes. The other person explains that the derivative can also be written as (3/2)x^{1/2}- (1/2)x^{-1/2} and that Wolfram is using this form to add the fractions by finding the LCD. The conversation ends with the person being asked to figure out the rest.
communitycoll
I'll just make one thread for all the help I'll need with derivatives so I don't clutter up this forum.

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y = sqrt(x)(x - 1).

Homework Equations

Wolfram Alpha gets this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+y+=+sqrt(x)(x+-+1)

I got sqrt(x) + [(x - 1) / (2sqrt(x))]. Which is basically everything up until the point where Wolfram returns the answer.

I don't understand where the 3 in the numerator comes from, or where the sqrt(x) that's being added goes.

The Attempt at a Solution

All the work you see Wolfram doing, up until the point Wolfram returns the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that you have used the product rule: the derivative of [itex]x^{1/2}(x-1)[/itex] is [itex](1/2)x^{-1/2}(x- 1)+ x^{1/2}(1)= \sqrt{x}+ (x- 1)/2\sqrt{x}[/itex].

However, you can also write [itex]x^{1/2}(x- 1)= x^{3/2}- x^{1/2}[/itex]. Then the derivative is [itex](3/2)x^{1/2}- (1/2)x^{-1/2}[/itex]. That is what Wolfram is doing.

Of course, those are the same. In the your answer, [itex]\sqrt{x}+ (x-1)/2\sqrt{x}[/itex], [itex]x/\sqrt{x}= \sqrt{x}[/itex] so that can be written [itex]\sqrt{x}+ (1/2)\sqrt{x}- 1/2\sqrt{x}= (3/2)\sqrt{x}- (1/2)x^{-1/2}[/itex], the same as Wolfram's answer.

Wolfram added the fractions together by finding the LCD.
[tex]\sqrt{x} + \frac{x - 1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
The 1st "fraction" has a denominator of 1, so the LCD is 2 sqrt (x). Multiply top and bottom of the 1st "fraction" by this LCD:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x} \cdot 2\sqrt{x}}{1\cdot 2\sqrt{x}} + \frac{x - 1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
I'll let you figure out the rest.

Related to Find the Derivative of y = sqrt(x)(x - 1): Step-by-Step Guide

What is the purpose of using derivatives in scientific research?

The purpose of using derivatives in scientific research is to understand the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. This can help in predicting future trends and patterns, as well as analyzing the behavior of complex systems.

How do derivatives help in solving real-world problems?

Derivatives help in solving real-world problems by providing a mathematical framework to model and analyze complex systems. They allow us to calculate the rate of change of a variable, which is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of natural phenomena.

What are some common applications of derivatives in science?

Some common applications of derivatives in science include physics, biology, economics, and engineering. In physics, derivatives are used to study the motion of objects and the behavior of systems. In biology, derivatives are used to model population growth and other biological processes. In economics, derivatives are used to analyze financial markets and make predictions. In engineering, derivatives are used to design and optimize structures and systems.

What are the different types of derivatives?

The different types of derivatives include derivatives of algebraic functions, trigonometric functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, as well as implicit and explicit derivatives. There are also higher-order derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a derivative.

How can I improve my understanding of derivatives?

To improve your understanding of derivatives, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different types of functions. It can also be helpful to study the fundamental concepts and rules of derivatives, such as the chain rule and product rule. Additionally, seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice exercises, can also aid in improving your understanding of derivatives.