Find the Magnitude of the Normal Force on the Slider and v'

In summary, the slider is being propelled upward at a speed of 11.3 ft/sec by a fixed rod, and the only forces acting on it are the weight of the slider and the normal force. The normal force is the only force that acts tangentially, and the radial acceleration is the direction of the tangential force.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A 2.4-lb slider is propelled upward at A along the fixed curved bar which lies in a vertical plane. If the slider is observed to have a speed of 11.3 ft/sec as it passes position B, determine (a) the magnitude N of the force exerted by the fixed rod on the slider and (b) the rate at which the speed of the slider is changing (positive if speeding up, negative if slowing down). Assume that friction is negligible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I drew a FBD of the slider and assigned the normal and tangential axes. I can also see that the normal force and the weight of the slider are the only forces acting on the slider.

ƩFen = man = N - mgcos(31)

m(v2/r) = N - mgcos(31)

I then solved for N and I get 6.383 lbf

I'm unsure about part b. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• dyn 3.048.png
    dyn 3.048.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,023
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:
ƩFen = man = N - mgcos(31)

m(v2/r) = N - mgcos(31)
What's the direction of the radial acceleration? (Check your signs.)

I'm unsure about part b. Any suggestions?
What force acts tangentially?

When you say radial acceleration are you referring to the normal acceleration? I don't quite see the point you're making.

The force acting tangentially would be:

F=ma

so it would be the tangential acceleration*mass.

Northbysouth said:
When you say radial acceleration are you referring to the normal acceleration? I don't quite see the point you're making.
You can call it the normal acceleration if you like. Which way does it point? Towards the center or away? Which way does the radial component of gravity point?

The force acting tangentially would be:

F=ma

so it would be the tangential acceleration*mass.
Well, sure. But the tangential acceleration is what you need to find. So what is the tangential force?

You can call it the normal acceleration if you like. Which way does it point? Towards the center or away? Which way does the radial component of gravity point?

Oh, the positive normal axis points towards the center of the curve, so it should be:

ƩFen = mgcos(31) - N = mv2/r

N = mgcos(31) - mv2/r

N = -2.2688 lbf

Well, sure. But the tangential acceleration is what you need to find. So what is the tangential force?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

ƩFet = mat = -mgsin(31)

Solving for at = -gsin(31)

at = -32.2*sin(31)

at = -16.58 ft/sec2

I've just checked my answers with the system and it says they're correct.

Thanks for your help Doc Al. The second part was a lot more straight forward than I thought.

Related to Find the Magnitude of the Normal Force on the Slider and v'

What is the normal force on the slider?

The normal force on the slider is the perpendicular component of the contact force exerted by a surface on the slider. It is always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force with which the slider presses against the surface.

How is the magnitude of the normal force calculated?

The magnitude of the normal force is calculated by using Newton's Second Law which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the normal force is equal to the mass of the slider multiplied by its acceleration in the direction perpendicular to the surface.

What factors affect the magnitude of the normal force?

The magnitude of the normal force is affected by the mass of the slider, the acceleration of the slider, and the angle and surface properties of the surface on which the slider is placed. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the normal force.

Why is it important to find the magnitude of the normal force on the slider?

Finding the magnitude of the normal force on the slider is important in understanding the motion and stability of the slider. It also helps in calculating the net force and acceleration of the slider, which are crucial in analyzing and predicting its motion.

How can the magnitude of the normal force be measured or determined experimentally?

The magnitude of the normal force can be measured or determined experimentally by using force sensors, force plates, or by analyzing the motion of the slider using video analysis software. It can also be calculated using the equations of motion and known values of other forces acting on the slider.