Find the mass and side length of unknown ice cube?

In summary, the problem is to transfer 650 EJ of energy into an ice cube, starting from -10 C and ending at 20 C. Using the equations given, it is possible to determine the mass and size of the ice cube by breaking the problem into three parts: heating the ice from -10 C to 0 C, melting the ice at 0 C, and heating the resulting water from 0 C to 20 C. However, it is important to note that 650 EJ is the total amount of heat added for the entire process, not for each individual step. By finding the amount of energy needed for 1 kg of ice to go from -10 C to 20 C, the mass of the
Adam_9333

Homework Statement

transfer 650 EJ (10^18 joules) into an ice cube of unknown size. the temperature of h20 increases from -10c to 20c.

Given:
1) q=mc(t2-t1)
2) for phase change q=m(F)

specific heat of ice (c)= 2.22x10^3 J.kg^-1.K-1
heat of fusion (f)= 3.33x10^5 J/kg
specific heat of water (c) = 4186 J.kg^-1.K^-1)

Homework Equations

what is the side length and mass of cube?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I would use eqn 1 for the heating of ice from (-10C to 0C): q=650EJ, c t= 10C and solve for mass?
then use second equation for phase change solid to liquid (0C) using q=650,f and also solve for mass?
use eqn 1 again and solve for m of water going from (0C to 20C) q=650EJ, c, t=20c

Then I would sum the masses and solve for volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's good that you see to break the problem up into 3 parts. However, in your solution you have assumed that 650 EJ are added for each part. But, 650 EJ is the total amount of heat added for the entire process of going from -10 C to 20 C.

Likes Adam_9333
I am not given any mass information so I cannot find Q of each step. any way to combine the equations? like Q= (m)(c)(t) + (m)(f)

How much heat does it take to start out with 1 kg of ice at -10 C and end up with liquid water at 20 C?

Likes Adam_9333
Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it! so I figure out how much energy it takes for 1kg of ice to go from -10c to 20c and then I can use that relationship to figure out mass with 650EJ?

Adam_9333 said:
Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it! so I figure out how much energy it takes for 1kg of ice to go from -10c to 20c and then I can use that relationship to figure out mass with 650EJ?
Sure

Related to Find the mass and side length of unknown ice cube?

What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in units of grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

What is side length?

Side length is the measurement of the length of one side of an object, typically measured in units of centimeters (cm) or meters (m).

How do I find the mass of an ice cube?

To find the mass of an ice cube, you will need a scale. Place the ice cube on the scale and record the measurement in grams (g).

How do I find the side length of an ice cube?

To find the side length of an ice cube, you will need a ruler. Measure one side of the ice cube in centimeters (cm) or meters (m).

Why is it important to know the mass and side length of an ice cube?

Knowing the mass and side length of an ice cube is important for various reasons. It can help with calculations for melting or freezing experiments, and it can also provide information about the density of the ice cube.