Finding all vectors <x,z>=<y,z>=0

In summary: So when you have <x, z> = <y, z>, you can equate the components and get a solution.In summary, the conversation discusses the inner product and its applications in solving equations in Euclidean space. The participants mention using the inner product to find perpendicular vectors and solving equations by equating the components. They also briefly touch on the use of cross product and a real number in finding a solution.
lucasLima
5iZ64h0.png

Hi Guys, that's what i got

<x,z>=<y,z>
<x,z>-<y,z>=0
<x,z>+<-y,z>=0
<x-y,z>=0

x-y = [0,2,0]

<2*[0,1,0],Z>=0
2<[0,1,0],z> = 0
<[0,1,0],z>=0

So 'im stuck at that. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
lucasLima said:
<[0,1,0],z>=0
If you write z with its components, what do you get as result?

Unrelated:
You didn't use the "=0" part yet.

mfb said:
If you write z with its components, what do you get as result?

Unrelated:
You didn't use the "=0" part yet.

<[0,1,0],[z1,z2,z3]>=0
Can i assume that the inner product is <x,y>=x1*y1+x2*y2+x3*y3 because it's a Euclidean Space?

That's it then! Thank you very much.

Well, it is the first part of the solution, yes.

How about z=a(xXy), where X is cross product and a is any real number?
This gives you z=(2a,0,-2a).

mfb said:
Well, it is the first part of the solution, yes.

0*z1+1*z2+0*z3=0
z2=0

<x,z>=0
z1+z3=0
z2=-z3

z is all vectors in the form (x,0,-x)

Correct (I wouldn't use x here as x is used as vector in the problem statement).

lucasLima said:
5iZ64h0.png

Hi Guys, that's what i got

<x,z>=<y,z>
<x,z>-<y,z>=0
<x,z>+<-y,z>=0
<x-y,z>=0

x-y = [0,2,0]

<2*[0,1,0],Z>=0
2<[0,1,0],z> = 0
<[0,1,0],z>=0

So 'im stuck at that. Any ideas?
One thing I don't see mentioned in this thread is that the notation <x, z> represents the inner product of x and z, I believe. If z is an arbitrary vector with z = <z1, z2, z3>, then <x, z> = 0 means that x and z are perpendicular. Also, <x, z> = ##x_1z_1 + x_2z_2 + x_3z_3 = z_1 + z_2 + z_3##, and similarly for <y, z>.

Related to Finding all vectors <x,z>=<y,z>=0

What does ==0 mean?

This notation means that the x-coordinate and z-coordinate of a vector must be equal to the y-coordinate and z-coordinate of another vector, and both must be equal to zero.

How do you find all vectors that satisfy ==0?

To find all vectors that satisfy this condition, you can use substitution to solve for the variables. For example, if x=0, then z must also be equal to 0. Similarly, if y=0, then z must also be equal to 0. This means that any vector with coordinates (0,0,z) or (x,0,0) will satisfy the equation.

Can there be more than one solution to ==0?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions for this equation. As mentioned before, any vector with coordinates (0,0,z) or (x,0,0) will satisfy the equation. This means that there are infinite solutions to this equation.

What is the significance of ==0 in science?

This equation is commonly used in physics to describe the relationship between two vectors. It can help determine if two vectors are parallel or perpendicular to each other, which can be important in various scientific calculations and experiments.

Is there a geometric interpretation of ==0?

Yes, there is a geometric interpretation for this equation. If you graph the vectors in a coordinate plane, the equation represents the intersection of two planes. This intersection forms a line, which is where all the vectors that satisfy the equation lie.