Finding b_k in a Complex Power Series

In summary, the conversation discusses a power series represented by a sigma notation, where a value n is possibly meant to be a k. The question asks for the values of b_k for k ranging from 0 to 7. The second part of the question is unclear and requires clarification.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

There is a power series
[tex]\infty[/tex]
[tex]\sum[/tex]b_k.z^k
n=0

such that

[tex]\infty[/tex]
(exp(z) - 1)[tex]\sum[/tex]b_k.z^k = z
n=0
the infinity and n=0 are meant to be over the sigma, sorry

Find b_k for k = 0,1,...,7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I'm just wondering - do you think that that n in the sum is meant to be a k? If not, what is n?
Does the question want me to solve for eight individual cases, or does it want me to sum to 7 instead of to infinity?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
i think its probably meant to be a k, here's how you write it (click on tex)

[tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} b_k z^k [/tex]

i'm not really sure for the 2nd bit as i can't read your expresison correctly

Related to Finding b_k in a Complex Power Series

1. What is a complex power series?

A complex power series is a mathematical series that represents a function of a complex variable. It is an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a power of the variable.

2. How is a complex power series different from a real power series?

A complex power series involves terms with complex coefficients and powers of a complex variable, while a real power series only involves terms with real coefficients and powers of a real variable.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a complex power series?

The radius of convergence for a complex power series is the value of the complex variable for which the series converges. It is determined by the ratio test or the root test.

4. How can I determine the convergence of a complex power series?

The convergence of a complex power series can be determined using the ratio test or the root test. These tests examine the limit of the absolute value of the terms in the series to determine if it converges or diverges.

5. What are some applications of complex power series?

Complex power series have various applications in mathematics and physics, including in the study of analytic functions, solving differential equations, and representing periodic functions. They are also used in signal processing and electrical engineering for representing signals and circuits.