Finding compressibility from given internal Energy function

In summary: U=C_{V}dV+PdT$$In summary, the homework statement asks for the derivation of the entropy balance equation. The Attempt at a Solution provides an equation for dU in terms of dV and dT. The entropy balance equation is found to be $$dS=\frac{dU}{T}+\frac{P}{T}dV$$.
H Psi equal E Psi
Hi everyone!

1. Homework Statement

Given is a function for the internal energy: ##U(T,V)=Vu(T)##
Asked is to derive the entropy balance equation. In order to do so i need to find the "isothermal and adiabatic compressibility": $$\kappa_{T}=-\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_{T}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In order to calculate ##\kappa_{T}## I need to find a function ##V(P,T)## right? But how do I get this function from the given internal energy function?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The isothermal and adiabatic compressibilities are second derivatives for U. So you may try taking derivatives of the internal energy equation using the technique of implicit differentiation.

H Psi equal E Psi said:
Hi everyone!

1. Homework Statement

Given is a function for the internal energy: ##U(T,V)=Vu(T)##
Asked is to derive the entropy balance equation. In order to do so i need to find the "isothermal and adiabatic compressibility": $$\kappa_{T}=-\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_{T}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In order to calculate ##\kappa_{T}## I need to find a function ##V(P,T)## right? But how do I get this function from the given internal energy function?

Thanks for your help!
What is the general equation (not for this specific material) for dU in terms of dT and dV?

Chestermiller said:
What is the general equation (not for this specific material) for dU in terms of dT and dV?
I guess its $$dU(T,V)=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_{V} dT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T} dV$$ Or one can write: $$dU(T,V)=C_{V}dT-PdV$$
right?

H Psi equal E Psi said:
I guess its $$dU(T,V)=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_{V} dT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T} dV$$ Or one can write: $$dU(T,V)=C_{V}dT-PdV$$
right?
Wrong. $$dU(T,V)=C_{V}dT-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]dV$$

Please state the entropy balance equation that you are supposed to derive?

Chestermiller said:
Please state the entropy balance equation that you are supposed to derive?
$$dS=\frac{1}{T}\left[(u+P)dV+V\frac{du}{dT}dT\right]$$
I managed to derive the second term by simply using the definition of ##C_{V}## and taking the first derivative of ##U(T,V)## with respect to ##T## since: $$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_{V}=T \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_{V}$$ This obviously leads to ##V\frac{du}{dT}##
But I'm still struggling with the first term...

This is much simpler than you think. Start out with:$$dS=\frac{dU}{T}+\frac{P}{T}dV$$From your equation for U(V,T), what is dU in terms of dV and dT?

Related to Finding compressibility from given internal Energy function

What is compressibility?

Compressibility refers to the ability of a substance to decrease in volume when subjected to pressure. It is a measure of how much a substance can be compressed.

Why is it important to find compressibility from given internal Energy function?

Knowing the compressibility of a substance can help in understanding its behavior under various pressures and temperatures. It is an important factor in many industrial processes, such as in the design of machinery and equipment.

What is the relationship between internal energy and compressibility?

The internal energy of a substance is directly related to its compressibility. As the internal energy increases, the compressibility decreases and vice versa.

How can compressibility be calculated from a given internal energy function?

Compressibility can be calculated by taking the second derivative of the internal energy function with respect to pressure. This is known as the isentropic compressibility and is denoted by the symbol κ.

What are the units of compressibility?

The units of compressibility are inverse pressure, typically expressed in units of Pa^-1 or bar^-1. Other commonly used units include m^2/N and cm^2/kg.