Finding current and power consumption

In summary: Yup. There are a couple of angles where tan is undefined, but the angles are perfectly good. Try plotting the phasor on the complex plane. What angle does it make with the + real axis?
MissP.25_5
I need help in solving this, I am stuck half way. Please check if what I am doing is right and tell me what to do next.
By the way, this work should be done without using the calculator, so let values such as √2 as they are. And values like sin(2t + θ) should be just left like that, too.

Current i1(t)= √2sin2t [A]
1) Find i2(t).
2) Calculate the effective power of the entire circuit (power consumption).

In the attachments are the diagram and my partial solution.

Attachments

• IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 550
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 523
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, MissP.23_5.

Your work to this point is good except for the very last line (!); check the signs of the terms.

Since you now know the current entering the second parallel section you should be able to find the voltage across that section and hence the current through the inductor.

After that, consider that you have the individual voltages across the two parallel sections and the total current... How might you determine the power?

gneill said:
Welcome to Physics Forums, MissP.23_5.

Your work to this point is good except for the very last line (!); check the signs of the terms.

Since you now know the current entering the second parallel section you should be able to find the voltage across that section and hence the current through the inductor.

After that, consider that you have the individual voltages across the two parallel sections and the total current... How might you determine the power?

Thanks for replying! Ok, here I have finished my solution, please check if it's correct.

Attachments

• IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4373.jpg
    IMG_4373.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 506
In your determination of I2, I don't see where the extra √2 is coming from. If you didn't apply a conversion from peak to RMS for i1 when you determined its phasor to be √2, then you've tacitly assumed that the values are already RMS. If this is not the case, then you'll have to adjust your i1 phasor to RMS and redo the calculations for i2 and power. The "extra" √2 in converting I2 to i2 (RMS phasor to peak time domain) would then make sense.

gneill said:
In your determination of I2, I don't see where the extra √2 is coming from. If you didn't apply a conversion from peak to RMS for i1 when you determined its phasor to be √2, then you've tacitly assumed that the values are already RMS. If this is not the case, then you'll have to adjust your i1 phasor to RMS and redo the calculations for i2 and power. The "extra" √2 in converting I2 to i2 (RMS phasor to peak time domain) would then make sense.

The √2 for I2 comes from the value of V2, since V2= -3√2.

MissP.25_5 said:
The √2 for I2 comes from the value of V2, since V2= -3√2.
So you are assuming that in the given expression i1(t) = √2 sin(2t)A that the √2 represents the RMS value, not the peak value. Is that correct?

gneill said:
So you are assuming that in the given expression i1(t) = √2 sin(2t)A that the √2 represents the RMS value, not the peak value. Is that correct?

Nope, √2 is the peak value.

MissP.25_5 said:
Nope, √2 is the peak value.

Aha! So then, what's the RMS magnitude of your I1 phasor?

EDIT: I should mention that it's okay to work with peak phasors if you're looking for peak values for currents and voltages. After all, it's just a scalar constant factor. But when it comes time to determine power, you need to know whether you've got RMS or peak values for voltages and currents; you want to use RMS values for power.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Aha! So then, what's the RMS magnitude of your I1 phasor?

Oh, is it 1?

MissP.25_5 said:
Oh, is it 1?

Yes indeed. That should simplify some of the subsequent calculations...

gneill said:
Yes indeed. That should simplify some of the subsequent calculations...

Ok, so I have corrected all my mistakes and here's what I got:

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 516
What happened to arg(I2) in the i2(t) calculation? You found I2 = -3/j = 3j, right? That shouldn't have a zero angle. Otherwise it looks good.

The power calculation looks okay.

gneill said:
What happened to arg(I2) in the i2(t) calculation? You found I2 = -3/j = 3j, right? That shouldn't have a zero angle. Otherwise it looks good.

The power calculation looks okay.

Yes, I2=3j and the magnitude of I2 would be 3, right? How can I find arg I2?
I know that tan^-1 (y/x) is the formula but since x=0, wouldn't that be undefined?

MissP.25_5 said:
Yes, I2=3j and the magnitude of I2 would be 3, right? How can I find arg I2?
I know that tan^-1 (y/x) is the formula but since x=0, wouldn't that be undefined?
Yup. There are a couple of angles where tan is undefined, but the angles are perfectly good. Try plotting the phasor on the complex plane. What angle does it make with the + real axis?

gneill said:
Yup. There are a couple of angles where tan is undefined, but the angles are perfectly good. Try plotting the phasor on the complex plane. What angle does it make with the + real axis?

On a complex plane, the coordinate would be (0,3), so that makes a straight line along the Imaginary axis and thus, the angle is ∏/2. Am I right? So, i(t) = 3√2sin(2t+∏/2), correct?

MissP.25_5 said:
On a complex plane, the coordinate would be (0,3), so that makes a straight line along the Imaginary axis and thus, the angle is ∏/2. Am I right? So, i(t) = 3√2sin(2t+∏/2), correct?

You are right :smile:

It's often handy to quickly sketch the phasor on the complex plane to get an idea of what the angle should be.

Also for future reference, remember that the arctan function has a restricted domain so it can't distinguish between arguments that should be in the 2nd or 4th quadrants, or those in the 1st and 3rd quadrants. The atan2() function does not have this limitation, and neither does the built-in rectangular to polar conversion function, if your calculator has either of those.

gneill said:
You are right :smile:

It's often handy to quickly sketch the phasor on the complex plane to get an idea of what the angle should be.

Also for future reference, remember that the arctan function has a restricted domain so it can't distinguish between arguments that should be in the 2nd or 4th quadrants, or those in the 1st and 3rd quadrants. The atan2() function does not have this limitation, and neither does the built-in rectangular to polar conversion function, if your calculator has either of those.

Finally, I got it right. Thank you so much for your patience. I am actually studying for my exams next week, so I'm having a lot of questions. I hope you don't mind helping me with my other thread.
Thanks!

MissP.25_5 said:
Finally, I got it right. Thank you so much for your patience. I am actually studying for my exams next week, so I'm having a lot of questions. I hope you don't mind helping me with my other thread.
Thanks!

No worries, that's why we're here :smile:

Related to Finding current and power consumption

1. What is current and power consumption?

Current is the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit, measured in amperes (A). Power consumption is the amount of electrical energy consumed by a device, measured in watts (W).

2. How do you measure current and power consumption?

Current can be measured using an ammeter, which is placed in series with the circuit. Power consumption can be measured using a wattmeter or by multiplying the measured current by the voltage.

3. What factors affect current and power consumption?

The main factors that affect current and power consumption are the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the number and type of devices connected to the circuit.

4. How can current and power consumption be reduced?

To reduce current and power consumption, you can use more efficient devices, reduce the number of devices connected to a circuit, or use alternative energy sources such as solar or wind power.

5. What are the potential dangers of high current and power consumption?

High current and power consumption can lead to overheating and can potentially cause damage to devices or even start a fire. It can also result in higher electricity bills and contribute to energy waste and environmental pollution.