Finding electric potential given two point charges

In summary, the problem asks to find the potential at points P1, P2, P3, and P4 due to two given charges using the equation VP =k∑qi/ri. The student initially considered using this equation four times and summing the results, but then questioned if there was an easier way. Another student pointed out that there are too many negative signs in the given attempt at a solution. The suggestion was made to try the brute force method first, which involves doing the calculation four times and then observing the symmetry of the situation. A hint was given that electric potential depends on distance from the charge, but not on direction.
Mickael14

Homework Statement

Find the potential at points P1, P2, P3, and P4 in the diagram due to the two given charges.
upload_2017-9-20_14-17-22.png

Homework Equations

VP =k∑qi/ri
p = q ⋅ d

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach the problem. I thought about using that given equation four times and adding it all together, but I was wondering if there was an easier way? If not, I would like to know if this is correct...
V1 = (9 x 109)[(5x10-3)/.02) - (-10x10-3)/.06)]
Then repeat these steps for V2, V3, and V4.

Then VT would be V1 + V2 + V3 + V4.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another question whenever someone sees this... Would I need to use the negative in the Q2 charge? I know V is scalar, but I was wondering because that would significantly change my answer.

Mickael14 said:
Would I need to use the negative in the Q2 charge?
Yes.
Mickael14 said:
V1 = (9 x 109)[(5x10-3)/.02) - (-10x10-3)/.06)]
Too many negative signs.

Mickael14 said:
... but I was wondering if there was an easier way?
Do it the "brute force" method first by doing the calculation 4 times. Then you will discover something about the symmetry of the situation. Hint: Electric potential due to a point charge depends on distance from the charge but not on direction.

Related to Finding electric potential given two point charges

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle has in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle. In the case of two point charges, the formula for electric potential is V = k(Q1/Qr1 + Q2/Qr2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances between the point charges and the point at which the electric potential is being calculated.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). It can also be expressed in terms of joules per coulomb (J/C), since volts are equivalent to joules per coulomb.

4. How do positive and negative charges affect electric potential?

Positive charges create a region of high electric potential, while negative charges create a region of low electric potential. The direction of electric potential is from high to low potential, meaning that positive charges will naturally move towards negative charges due to this difference in potential energy.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the electric potential energy of a charged particle is decreasing as it moves towards a point of higher potential. This can occur when there is a negative charge present, or when the distance between two point charges is decreasing.