Finding Relative Extrema for a Rational Function with a Constant

In summary, the problem asks to find the relative extrema of the function f(x)=(a-x)/(x^2+a^2), where a is a constant greater than 0. The steps involve taking the derivative of f(x), setting it equal to 0, and using the quadratic formula to solve for x. However, it appears that the correct function should be f(x)=(a-x)/(x^2+a^2), and once this is corrected, the solution can be found using the quadratic formula with 'a'=1, 'b'=(-2a), and 'c'=(-a^2).
Glissando

Homework Statement

Find the relative extrema of the following function f(x) = (a-x)/(x2-a2)
where a is a constant, a>0

Homework Equations

Derivative of f(x), zeroes, quadratic formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I just screwed a small step in there because my answer doesn't work out (it's supposed to be a(1 + sqrt2) and a(1 - sqrt2)

f'(x) = [(x2+a2)(-1) - (2x)(a-x)]/(x2+a2)2

0 = -x2 - a2 - 2xa + 2x2

0 = x2 - 2xa - a2

Quadratic formula:

x = [-b +/- sqrt(b2 - 4ac)]/(2a)

x = {2xa +/- sqrt[(-2xa)2 - 4(x2)(-a2)]}/(2x2)

x = [2xa +/- sqrt(4x2a2 + 4x2a2)]/(2x2)

x = [2xa +/- sqrt(8x2a2)]/(2x2)

x = [2xa +/- 2sqrt(2)xa]/(2x2)

x = 2xa(1 +/- sqrt2)/(2x2)

x = a(1 +/- sqrt2)/x

): How do I get rid of the x? If you cancel it doesn't the left side become 1?

Thank you for your help! <3

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you meant to say f(x)=(a-x)/(x^2+a^2) in the problem statement. So, yes, you want to solve 0=x^2-2ax-a^2. When you use the quadratic formula you put 'a'=1, 'b'=(-2a) and 'c'=(-a^2). I put quotes around the variables in the quadratic formula so as not to confuse them with the a in the problem. Notice none of them have an x in it.

Dick said:
It looks like you meant to say f(x)=(a-x)/(x^2+a^2) in the problem statement. So, yes, you want to solve 0=x^2-2ax-a^2. When you use the quadratic formula you put 'a'=1, 'b'=(-2a) and 'c'=(-a^2). I put quotes around the variables in the quadratic formula so as not to confuse them with the a in the problem. Notice none of them have an x in it.

WOW that made all the difference! Thank you so much (:!

Related to Finding Relative Extrema for a Rational Function with a Constant

1. What is the definition of a relative extremum?

A relative extremum is a point on a function where the slope is equal to zero, indicating a turning point on the graph. It can be either a maximum or minimum value.

2. How can I find the relative extrema of a function?

To find the relative extrema, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-values where the derivative is equal to zero. These x-values will be the coordinates of the relative extrema.

3. Can a function have multiple relative extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative extrema. This can occur when the function has multiple turning points, such as a local maximum followed by a local minimum.

4. Is it possible for a function to have no relative extrema?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have no relative extrema. This can occur when the function is a straight line with a constant slope or when the function is constantly increasing or decreasing.

5. How do I determine if a relative extremum is a maximum or minimum?

You can determine if a relative extremum is a maximum or minimum by looking at the concavity of the function. If the function is concave up, the relative extremum is a minimum, and if the function is concave down, the relative extremum is a maximum.