Finding scalar equation of a line with a vector and a point given

In summary, the problem involves finding the scalar equation of a line given a normal vector and a point. The attempted solution involved finding a parallel vector using the dot product and plugging in a point, but the correct solution is to use the normal vector and a point to create a scalar equation using the formula R=[X0,Y0]+T[M1,M2]. The final answer is 3X+Y-10=0.
BlazeKH
I would really appreciate the help, I've been trying to figure this out for the last three hours no joke.

Homework Statement

Write the scalar equation the line given the normal vector [3,1] and point (2,4)

Homework Equations

R=[X0,Y0]+ T[M1,M2]

The Attempt at a Solution

R=[2,4] + T[3,1]

X=2+3T Y=4+T

(X-2)/3=T Y-4=T

(X-2)/3=Y-4

X-2=3Y-12

X-3Y+10=0

ANSWER:3X+2Y-10

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the vector parallel to the line you want i.e. the vector normal to the normal.

The dot product of the parallel line and the normal is zero. Use that to get the required parallel vector.

I tried that but it didn't work, am I doing something wrong?

[X,Y].[3,1]=0

3X+Y=0

Y=-3X (I subbed in a point, to my understanding it shouldn't matter which)

Y=-3(1)

Y=-3

P=[1,-3]

R=[2,4]+T[1,-3]

X=2+T Y=4-3T

X-2=T (Y-4)/-3=T

-3X+6=Y-4

-3X-Y+10=0

Okay I figured it out the answer is also incorrect btw.

Related to Finding scalar equation of a line with a vector and a point given

1. What is a scalar equation of a line?

A scalar equation of a line is an equation that represents a line in two-dimensional space using only scalar values, such as constants and coefficients.

2. How is a scalar equation of a line different from a vector equation?

A scalar equation of a line uses only scalar values, while a vector equation includes vector components and direction.

3. What information is needed to find the scalar equation of a line with a vector and a point given?

To find the scalar equation of a line, you need the direction of the line, which is represented by a vector, and a point on the line.

4. Can the scalar equation of a line be used to represent any type of line?

Yes, the scalar equation of a line can be used to represent any type of line, including vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines.

5. How do you find the scalar equation of a line with a vector and a point given?

To find the scalar equation of a line, you can use the point-slope form of a line or the slope-intercept form, depending on the given information. You can then simplify the equation to have only scalar values.