Finding Slope and Y-Intercept for Points on a Line: A Simple Explanation

In summary, the person is asking for help with a math problem involving finding the slope of a line passing through two points and using the point-slope formula. They calculated the value of b incorrectly and got a different answer than their friend. They are seeking a simple explanation and clarification on why their method may not work.
Doomkiin
Hey so I have a math test tomorrow and I'm really good in math, I just need some small clarification, so here's my problem.

V(-2,k) P(4,9) slope of 2/3

so I decided to find y=mx+b with P(4,9) because after I find B I could do the same with V(-2,k)

so I did the equation and B came up 7, so next I decided to do.

y=2/3(-2)+7

but I got, y=17/3

However in the optional choice there's only -5, 3, 5 and 7 I asked my friend and he said it was 5 but I didn't really understand his explanation so I would really appreciate some deeper or simple explanation please, my friend also told me that the way I was doing it wouldn't work and I was just wondering as to why not ?

thank you for your time.

ps: It may not be called a slope but I come from a french school and that was the translation I came up with.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the wrong value for b. As you said [itex]y=\frac{2}{3}x+b[/itex]. If you use the first point you have:
$$
9=\frac{2}{3}\cdot 4+b\implies b=9-\frac{8}{3}=\frac{19}{3}.
$$
So [itex]y=\frac{2}{3}x+\frac{19}{3}[/itex]. Lastly, plugging x=-2:
$$
y=\frac{2}{3}\cdot(-2)+\frac{19}{3}=\frac{-4+19}{3}=\frac{15}{3}=5.
$$
I hope this is clear.

Or you could do it in one step using the point-slope formula and entering both points.

Related to Finding Slope and Y-Intercept for Points on a Line: A Simple Explanation

1. What is analytic geometry?

Analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study points, lines, curves, and shapes in a coordinate system.

2. How is analytic geometry used in real life?

Analytic geometry is used in many fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. It helps solve problems involving distance, velocity, and other mathematical concepts.

3. What are the key principles of analytic geometry?

The key principles of analytic geometry include the use of a coordinate system, equations and formulas to represent geometric objects, and the use of algebraic methods to solve geometric problems.

4. What are some common applications of analytic geometry?

Some common applications of analytic geometry include calculating the slope and distance between points, finding equations for lines and curves, and determining the intersections of geometric objects.

5. What are some tips for solving analytic geometry problems?

Some tips for solving analytic geometry problems include visualizing the problem using a coordinate system, understanding the basic formulas and equations, and practicing solving various types of problems.