Finding the Area Between Two Curves Using Jacobians

In summary: I don't think I can understand that and multiple integrals aren't in my syllabus. So the answer in key is wrong?
Saitama

Homework Statement

Consider curves ##C_1: (y-x)=(x+y-\sqrt{2})^2## and ##C_2: (x+y-\sqrt{2})=(y-x)^2##, then the area between ##C_1## and ##C_2## is
A)1/2
B)1/3
C)1/4
D)None

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding out the points of intersection would be a lot difficult here. And even if I find them, integration would be dirty. This is a question from my test paper and I suspect that it has an easy solution but I am unable to figure that out. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Consider curves ##C_1: (y-x)=(x+y-\sqrt{2})^2## and ##C_2: (x+y-\sqrt{2})=(y-x)^2##, then the area between ##C_1## and ##C_2## is
A)1/2
B)1/3
C)1/4
D)None

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding out the points of intersection would be a lot difficult here. And even if I find them, integration would be dirty. This is a question from my test paper and I suspect that it has an easy solution but I am unable to figure that out. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Did you think about trying a change of variables?

Dick said:
Did you think about trying a change of variables?

Nope. How would I do that here? Substitute ##y-x## with ##t##?

Pranav-Arora said:
Nope. How would I do that here? Substitute ##y-x## with ##t##?

Sure. Call x+y+sqrt(2)=s, x-y=t. Find the area is s,t coordinates. Don't forget the Jacobian factor.

Dick said:
...Jacobian factor.

Sorry, never heard of that before. :rolleyes:

Hmm...using the substitution, the question is similar to finding area between ##y=x^2## and ##y^2=x##. The area between them is 1/3. This is the answer given in the answer key. Thank you Dick! :smile:

Related to Finding the Area Between Two Curves Using Jacobians

1. What is the area between two curves?

The area between two curves refers to the region enclosed by two curves on a graph. It is usually calculated by taking the definite integral of the difference between the two curves within a given interval.

2. How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, first determine the points of intersection between the two curves. Then, set up the integral by subtracting the equations of the curves and integrating within the given interval. Finally, solve the integral to find the area.

3. What if the curves intersect multiple times?

If the curves intersect multiple times, the area between them can be found by dividing the given interval into smaller subintervals and calculating the area between each pair of intersecting curves. Then, the total area can be found by summing up the individual areas.

4. Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the lower curve is above the upper curve within the given interval. This indicates that the lower curve is actually the "upper" curve in that particular region, resulting in a negative area.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the area between two curves?

Finding the area between two curves is a common problem in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, determine the profit or loss in a business, or calculate the volume of a complex shape, among others.