Finding the Area Bounded by Curves | Quick Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area bound by the x axis, x = 1, x = 4, and y = 2/x. The suggested solution is to perform the definite integral of y = 2/x from 1 to 4, resulting in an area of 2 ln(4). There is no apparent reason to do any additional calculations.
BOAS
Hello,

quick question really.

Homework Statement

Find the area bound by the x axis, [itex]x = 1[/itex], [itex]x = 4[/itex] and [itex]y = 2/x[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Representing this graphically, the question is equivalent to performing the definite integral of [itex]y = 2/x[/itex] from [itex]1[/itex] to [itex]4[/itex]. Right?

Which would result in the area being equal to [itex]2 ln(4)[/itex]

It seems painfully obvious but this question has made me doubt myself so I wanted to check I haven't missed anything obvious... i.e is there any reason to do the longhand of subtracting the smaller areas from the larger ones.

Thanks,

BOAS

Physics news on Phys.org
You are absolutely correct. I see no reason to put anything more than the integral you described. For any positive, integrable function, the area between the curve and the x-axis is equal to the definite integral of the function over the region concerned.

Related to Finding the Area Bounded by Curves | Quick Solution

1. What is the definition of "area bounded by curves"?

The area bounded by curves is the total space enclosed by one or more curves on a graph or coordinate plane. It can also refer to the area under a curve, bounded by a specific interval on the x-axis.

2. How is the area bounded by curves calculated?

The area bounded by curves can be calculated using calculus techniques, such as integration or the method of Riemann sums. It involves breaking the enclosed space into smaller, simpler shapes and finding the sum of their areas.

3. What are some real-life applications of finding the area bounded by curves?

Finding the area bounded by curves is useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of a three-dimensional object, or the profit generated by a business over a specific time period.

4. Can the area bounded by curves be negative?

Yes, the area bounded by curves can be negative. This occurs when the curve dips below the x-axis, creating a region with a negative area. In this case, the total area bounded by curves is calculated by subtracting the negative area from the positive area.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when finding the area bounded by curves?

Yes, the calculation of the area bounded by curves relies on certain assumptions and limitations. These include the assumption that the curves are continuous, the limitation that the area must be contained within the given interval, and the assumption that the curves do not intersect or overlap within the interval.