Finding the magnetization in nuclear magnetic resonance

In summary: I don't think this should be a difficult problem. I don't understand what you are trying to do with the tensor product. I see no reason for that, but that might be that I do not have a copy of your book. I am only looking at the relevant problem statement and the problem solution that you provided.J-coupling is a phenomenon that arises from the interaction between two spins in a molecule. It is described by the term HJ = ħJ/4 σz(1) σz(2), where J is the coupling constant and σz(1) and σz(2) are the spin operators for the first and second spin respectively. This term causes the splitting of individual spin
David DCruz

Homework Statement

J-coupling term between two spins is

HJ = ħJ/4 σz(1) σz(2)

In the measured magnetization spectrum of the spins, this leads to the splitting of the individual
spin lines by frequency J, which we’ll now derive. We can write the magnetization of spin 1 as:

<M1(t)> = tr(ρ(t)σ+(1)) = tr[ρ(t)σ+(1)⊗(e+(2)+e-(2))]

where e+(2) = matrix(1 0; 0 0 )
e-(2)) = matrix(0 0;0 1)
σ+ = σx + i σy
(1) refers to 1st qubit; (2) refers to 2nd qubit

Assume ρ(t) evolves according to U(t)=exp(-iHJt/ħ)

Show that
<M1(t)> = exp(iJt/2) tr[ρ(0)σ+(1)e+(2)] + exp(-iJt/2) tr[ρ(0)σ+(1)e-(2)]

Homework Equations

Mentioned above

The Attempt at a Solution

I expressed ρ(t) = U(t) ρ(0) U+(t)

Then I wrote <M1(t)> = tr[ρ(0)exp(iHJt/ħ)σ+(1)exp(-iHJt/ħ)⊗(e+(2)+e-(2))]
I expanded out the exponential hamiltonian to get

<M1(t)> = tr[ρ(0)exp(-iJtσz(2)/2) σ+(1)⊗(e+(2)+e-(2))]

I'm not sure how to proceed from here

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you only need to use the fact that ## \sigma_z^{(1)} ## and ## \sigma_z^{(2)} ## have eigenvalues of ## 1 ## and ##-1 ##. I do't think it requires a lengthy derivation to show what you are trying to show. Once you assign the eigenvalues, it shows what the possible energies are, and thereby the energy differences between the two states. I think I get ## J/2 ## as the frequency difference.

Do you mean to use the eigen values of σz(1) and σz(2) right from the beginning of the solution instead of what I did or from where I am currently stuck. Also, I'm confused as to what happens with the tensor product. How does it vanish in the final answer. As far as I understand it, if an operator acts on a tensor product (where the operator can be broken into operators that act in only one of the local Hilbert spaces), the result is the tensor product of the states got by acting the local operators on the corresponding states in the local Hilbert spaces. I'm taking a shot in the dark here but can you please tell me if the following is correct just from a mathematical point of view.

<M1(t)> = tr[ρ(0)exp(-iJtσz(2)/2) σ+(1)⊗ (e+(2)+e-(2))]
=tr[ ρ(0) σ+(1) ⊗(exp(-iJtσz(2)/2)e+(2) + exp(-iJtσz(2)/2)e-(2)) ]

In the way I'm suggesting, you would use the eigenvalue result immediately. Your calculations involving the spin operator acting on two separate possible spin states with a tensor product is considerably different from the elementary quantum mechanics that I am familiar with. Perhaps there are others who might be able to work the problem as well with what my be a more advanced approach. @bhobba Might you be able to assist here? I would simply use the known eigenvalues from the beginning. ## \\ ## Editing: Also, in studying your original post in more detail, perhaps the problem you are trying to solve is much more detailed than the solution that I presented in post 2. As I understood the original post, the goal was to find the splitting of the spectral lines. ## \\ ## Additional comment: Without the spin-spin coupling, the energy of a given spin state in the magnetic field ## B ## is given by ## E=-\mu \cdot B ## , where ## \mu=\frac{g \mu_N \sigma}{2} ##, when working with nuclear spins. (For nuclear spins, the Bohr magneton (which applies to electrons) is replaced by the nuclear magneton ## \mu_N ##). ## \\ ## The magnetization ## M_z ##, (a macroscopic property), is related to the average value of the spin operator, (##M_z=A(n_+-n_- ) ## where ## A ## is a proportionality constant, and ## n_+ ## is the density of spins in the spin up state etc.), but I don't think that is needed to solve the problem.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the magnetization in nuclear magnetic resonance

1. What is nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)?

Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) is a spectroscopic technique that uses the magnetic properties of atomic nuclei to study the structure and dynamics of molecules. It is commonly used in chemistry, biochemistry, and medicine to determine the composition and behavior of molecules.

2. How does NMR work?

NMR works by placing a sample in a strong magnetic field and applying radiofrequency pulses to the sample. This causes the atomic nuclei to align with the magnetic field and emit signals at specific frequencies. By analyzing these signals, information about the chemical and physical properties of the sample can be obtained.

3. What is magnetization in NMR?

Magnetization in NMR refers to the alignment of atomic nuclei with the magnetic field. This alignment is crucial for the generation and detection of NMR signals and is influenced by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and the chemical environment of the nuclei.

4. How is the magnetization measured in NMR?

The magnetization in NMR is measured by detecting the radiofrequency signals emitted by the aligned atomic nuclei. This is typically done using a device called a spectrometer, which analyzes the signals and converts them into a spectrum that can be interpreted to obtain information about the sample.

5. What factors affect the magnetization in NMR?

The magnetization in NMR is influenced by several factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the type of atomic nuclei present in the sample, and the chemical environment of these nuclei. Additionally, external factors like temperature and pressure can also affect the magnetization and ultimately the NMR signals obtained from a sample.