Finding the PMF of a function of a discrete random variable

In summary, the discrete random variable K has a PMF of p(k) = {1/6 if k=0, 2/6 if k=1, 3/6 if k=2, and 0 otherwise. To find the PMF of Y, where Y = 1/(1+K), we plug in the values of K (0, 1, and 2) into the formula for Y to get Y = {1, 1/2, 1/3}. Then, we determine the probability of Y taking on those values by using the probabilities of K. For example, p(y=1) = p(k=0) = 1/6, and p(y=
Bill Headrick
The discrete random variable K has the following PMF:

p(k) = { 1/6 if k=0
2/6 if k=1
3/6 if k=2
0 otherwise
}

Let Y = 1/(1+K), find the PMF of Y

My attempt:
So, I am really confused about what this is asking.

I took all of my possible K values {0, 1, 2} and plugged them into the formula for Y to get:

Y = {1,1/2,1/3}
Then the only Y value that is also a K value is 1 so:

p(y): {1 if y=1
0 ptherwise
}

This does not look right to me.

Am I approaching this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is confusing (I don't know what PMF is supposed to be).

The density function for y:
p(y=1) = 1/6, p(y=1/2) = 1/3, p(y=1/3) = 1/2

PMF = probability mass function, since this is a discrete random variable the term "density" isn't typically used.
You don't want to base your probabilities for Y only on the ones for K. Think this way.
k = 0 if and only if Y = 1/(1+0) = 1, so p(y=1) = (fill in the blank)
K = 1 if and only if Y = 1/(1 + 1) = 1/2, so p(y = 1/2) = (again, fill in the blank)

Keep going this way.

Related to Finding the PMF of a function of a discrete random variable

1. What is a PMF?

A PMF (Probability Mass Function) is a function that gives the probability of a discrete random variable taking on a specific value. It maps each possible value of the random variable to its probability of occurring.

2. How is the PMF different from the PDF?

The PMF is used for discrete random variables, while the PDF (Probability Density Function) is used for continuous random variables. The PMF gives the probability of a specific value occurring, while the PDF gives the probability of a range of values occurring.

3. How is the PMF calculated?

The PMF is calculated by dividing the number of occurrences of a specific value by the total number of possible outcomes. It can also be expressed as a mathematical function that assigns probabilities to each possible value of the random variable.

4. What is the importance of finding the PMF of a function of a discrete random variable?

Finding the PMF allows us to understand the behavior of a discrete random variable and make predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes. It is an essential tool in probability and statistics, and is used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and biology.

5. Can the PMF be used to find the mean and variance of a random variable?

Yes, the PMF can be used to find the mean and variance of a random variable. The mean is calculated by multiplying each possible value by its corresponding probability and summing the results. The variance is calculated by subtracting the mean from each value, squaring the differences, multiplying them by their corresponding probabilities, and summing the results.