Finding the power loss in a wire of varying cross-sectional area

Glenn G
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Finding the power loss in a wire of varying area - my problem is I don't know how to set up the integral

Hopefully you can see in the diagram below that the area of the wire varies linearly with length. I know the equations for resistance and power loss and I can express the resistance of a thin slice but need to integrate over the whole wire to get the full resistance - to find power then it is trivial. I've thought about this for a good while now but can't get it. Please help, this isn't homework (I'm very old and doing this for fun!)

1697391629568.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no answer for you but as an EE I have to comment --- that is one WEIRD "wire" :smile:

Just FYI, chicken scratching for problem posts is frowned on here. Best to type it in and Latex is encouraged.

Ok noted for future

Glenn G said:
TL;DR Summary: Finding the power loss in a wire of varying area - my problem is I don't know how to set up the integral

Hopefully you can see in the diagram below that the area of the wire varies linearly with length. I know the equations for resistance and power loss and I can express the resistance of a thin slice but need to integrate over the whole wire to get the full resistance - to find power then it is trivial. I've thought about this for a good while now but can't get it. Please help, this isn't homework (I'm very old and doing this for fun!)

View attachment 333623
##r## is a function of ##x##, not ##dx##.

Hi. Your description says 'the area of the wire varies linearly with length'. But the handwritten work says 'radius increases linearly with length'. The two statements are incompatible!

Also, 'length' is a constant for a given wire. I guess what you really mean is one of:
a) cross-sectional-area (CSA) varies linearly with distance along wire;
or
b) radius varies linearly with distance along wire.

For a conical wire:

the radius ##r_1 = \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}}## and ##r_2 = \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}}## so ##r(x) = r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L}## where ##x \equiv 0## at ##r_1## and ##x \equiv L## at ##r_2##

The resistance of a thin disk at ##x## is ##R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi r(x)^2}dx##

Then the total resistance is ##R = \int_0^L R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{r(x)^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{(r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L})^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} \left. \frac{1}{(r_1 + x\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} \right|_0^L##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{(r_1 + L\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{r_2 } -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{r_1-r_2}{r_1 r_2 } ) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi r_1 r_2 } ##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}} } = \frac{\rho L}{\sqrt{A_1 A_2} } ##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
FWIW, in 'Real World', you would also have change of conductivity with position due temperature rise.
Think 'open', H-shaped fuses...

DaveE said:
For a conical wire:

the radius ##r_1 = \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}}## and ##r_2 = \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}}## so ##r(x) = r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L}## where ##x \equiv 0## at ##r_1## and ##x \equiv L## at ##r_2##

The resistance of a thin disk at ##x## is ##R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi r(x)^2}dx##

Then the total resistance is ##R = \int_0^L R(x) = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{r(x)^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho}{\pi} \int_0^L \frac{1}{(r_1 + x \frac{r_2-r_1}{L})^2} \, dx = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} \left. \frac{1}{(r_1 + x\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} \right|_0^L##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{(r_1 + L\frac{r_2-r_1}{L})} -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{1}{r_2 } -\frac{1}{r_1}) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi (r_1-r_2)} (\frac{r_1-r_2}{r_1 r_2 } ) = \frac{\rho L}{\pi r_1 r_2 } ##

## R = \frac{\rho L}{\pi \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{\pi}} \sqrt{\frac{A_2}{\pi}} } = \frac{\rho L}{\sqrt{A_1 A_2} } ##
That's fine if ##L>>r_2-r_1##. Otherwise there is the complication that current near the surface of the wire has further to travel than that near the core.

Likes DaveE
haruspex said:
That's fine if ##L>>r_2-r_1##. Otherwise there is the complication that current near the surface of the wire has further to travel than that near the core.
Yes, there's a subtle assumption that the "disks" are truly just in series; i.e. radial current flow isn't significant.