Finding the reactions at the supports, 3D model

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the forces in all members of a frame. The equations used are the sum of forces and moments in all three directions equaling zero. The conversation also mentions using pin joints and the importance of having enough equilibrium equations to solve for all unknown reactions and forces. The approach used is algebraic, but the suggestion is made to also consider drawing orthogonal views to potentially simplify the problem. The final conclusion is that the force at reaction C in the x direction is 3kN and with all 9 reaction values known, the forces in each member can be calculated.
lazypast

Homework Statement

Hi. See attached, I need to determine the forces in all members.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in X, Y & Z all equal 0.
Sum of moments in X, Y & Z all equal 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the reactions at each support, A, B and C in my 2nd attached

ƩFx=0 ∴ 8+3-R(ax)-R(bx)-R(cx)=0
ƩFy=0 ∴ R(ay)+R(by)+R(cy)=0
ƩFz=0 ∴ 20+20+20-R(az)-R(bz)-R(cz)=0

After taking moments from various places and about various axis, I get Reactions at:

A-x= 8
y= 0
z=20

B-x= ?
y= 0
z= 9

C-x= ?
y= 0
z= 31

All in kN. The workings are just long winded so I'll put the important bit in - the unknowns R(bx) and R(cx).

Taking moments at A about the Z axis
0.866R(bx)+0.866R(cx)+0.866(3)+0.5R(cy)-0.5R(by)=0

R(cy)=R(by)=0 & dividing by 0.866
The equation becomes:

R(bx) + R(cx) = -3kN

I would say 3kN is shared equally between point C and B, but I have no proof, i.e. I can't see an equation that shows R(bx)=R(cx). Can I just assume 3kN is shared equally and R(bx) = R(cx) = 1.5kN

Attachments

• 3D members.jpg
    3D members.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG00053-20121221-0848.jpg
    IMG00053-20121221-0848.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 740
Physics news on Phys.org
If E is a pin joint, not able to resist moment about any axis, what does this imply for the reaction components at B? You have only 6 equilibrium equations for the whole frame, but you have assumed 9 reaction components. You need three more equations. If E is a pin joint, that gives you two more equations, considering the equilibrium of EB alone. Perhaps you are too algebraic in your approach? Yes, you do in the end have to solve equations, but have you considered drawing the three orthogonal views parallel to each of the x, y, z directions, to see if some simplification or symmetry makes itself apparent? And you cannot assume that B and C equally resist the 3 kN force.

Last edited:
Yes I am quite algebraic in my approach, but it's all logic so I have more confidence it's correct. I apprectiate your response.

Ive had a think about why you chose a pin joint at E. The EB leg seems only suited to taking a tensile force (z component). Realistically speaking there would be a huge force at the joint if it wasn't a pin joint. I now believe the force is zero at reactions B in the x and y planes. So I can say the force at C in the x direction is 3kN.Now I have all 9 values I can start calculating the force in each member.

You mention orthogonal views. I will research this a little, the book I'm using hasn't mentioned that method. Does it help finding the reactions or finding the forces in the members?

You may well be correct with your reaction components. Before calculating member forces, you can check the reaction components by using 6 independent equilibrium equations. Algebraic sum of forces in 3 directions should be zero. Algebraic sum of moments about any 3 non-parallel axes should be zero. That will give you the confidence to proceed.

Last edited:
?

As a scientist, it is important to remember that assumptions should always be avoided and instead, evidence-based reasoning should be used to support any conclusions. In this case, while it may seem reasonable to assume that the load of 3kN is shared equally between points C and B, it is important to consider all possible scenarios and use equations and calculations to determine the most accurate values.

One approach could be to use the equations for moment equilibrium and solve for R(bx) and R(cx) separately. Another approach could be to use the equations for force equilibrium and solve for R(bx) and R(cx) simultaneously. It may also be helpful to use a 3D model or software to visualize the forces and determine the reactions at each support. Additionally, considering the physical properties and constraints of the structure could also provide insight into the distribution of the load between points C and B. Overall, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and use evidence-based reasoning to accurately determine the reactions at the supports.

Related to Finding the reactions at the supports, 3D model

1. How do I find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model?

To find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model, you will need to use the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces and moments acting on the structure must equal zero. By analyzing the forces and moments at each support point, you can determine the reactions at those points.

2. What information do I need to find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model?

In order to find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model, you will need to know the external loads applied to the structure, the geometry of the structure, and the properties of the materials used. This information will allow you to accurately calculate the forces and moments acting on the structure at each support point.

3. Can I use a computer program to find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model?

Yes, there are many computer programs available that can help you find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model. These programs use advanced mathematical algorithms to analyze the structure and calculate the reactions at each support point. However, it is important to verify the results manually to ensure accuracy.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding the reactions at the supports in a 3D model?

One common mistake when finding the reactions at the supports in a 3D model is neglecting to consider all the external loads acting on the structure. It is important to account for all forces and moments, including self-weight and any applied loads. Other common mistakes include incorrect assumptions about the geometry or material properties of the structure.

5. Why is it important to find the reactions at the supports in a 3D model?

Finding the reactions at the supports in a 3D model is crucial in determining the stability and safety of a structure. These reactions provide information about the internal forces and moments within the structure, which can help engineers design and optimize the structure to ensure it can withstand the applied loads. Additionally, accurate reactions at the supports are necessary for accurately analyzing and predicting the behavior of the structure.