Finding the transfer function for a difference amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function of a circuit, specifically by solving for Vo/Vin. The attempt at a solution includes the equations and variables involved, as well as considerations for the behavior of the circuit. The possibility of neglecting the reference voltage for the analysis is also mentioned. The final conclusion is that the circuit may not behave linearly and therefore may not have a neat, single expression transfer function.
Dextrine

Homework Statement

I need to find the transfer function of the attached circuit (this isn't a homework question so I don't know if there's even a solution, but last time I posted this type of question on the EE forum, it was redirected here)

Homework Equations

I know it needs to be eventually of the form Vo/Vin and I know how to solve for Vo but I can't seem to get it as Vo/Vin. If it isn't possible, how would one describe this circuit's transfer function?

Z1=R1
Z2=R2+1/(s*C)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Vo=(Z2/Z1)(5V-Vin)+5V

Vin is the measured signal from the output of a buck converter and 5V is the reference signal, if that helps at all. The closest I've somewhat gotten is
(Vo-5)/(5-Vin)=Z2/Z1

Thanks in advance for all the help![/B]

Attachments

• OPAMPTRANSF.JPG
    OPAMPTRANSF.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
The only other thing I can think of would be just letting the transfer function be -(Z2/Z1) with an offset afterwards, but this seems weird...

I suspect that the circuit is not going to behave linearly so that a nice neat single expression transfer function for the behavior is not going to be possible. Consider...

Suppose for a moment that the input is open (Vin disconnected: an open circuit) when the power is first applied. What will happen to Vo?

The series capacitor is going to integrate any current through R1 (the top R1; You have two R1's in your circuit diagram) that results from the difference between Vin and 5 V. A continuous input Vin that is not exactly 5 V is going to lead to saturation issues... What happens when Vo hits a power rail?

Likes Dextrine
Hello qneill, thanks for responding to my question. I'm not too sure I follow your suggestions, however, I came upon this http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva662/slva662.pdf, which has a type II compensator which looks similar to the circuit I have. They kind of just neglect Vref in their transfer function, would I be able to do the same for mine?

It looks like they are only looking at the AC transfer function, which is why Vref is ignored (A DC source is just a short circuit to AC). Vref effectively places the two op-amp inputs at ground potential as far as AC is concerned. I suppose you could do the same if your goal is a similar analysis.

Likes Dextrine
Yeah, the goal is just to find out which components determine the poles and zero's

Dextrine said:
Yeah, the goal is just to find out which components determine the poles and zero's
Okay. So "short out" Vref for the AC model and analyze the circuit.

Likes Dextrine
gneill said:
Okay. So "short out" Vref for the AC model and analyze the circuit.
Will do, makes this MUCH easier. thanks!

The op amp is most likely operated from a single supply, necessitating the 5V input bias. The input is considered "zero" at +5VDC.

This circuit saturates for any finite offset voltage and/or mismatch between dc input voltages (dc input ≠ +5V exactly) so is useless.

Related to Finding the transfer function for a difference amplifier

1. What is a difference amplifier?

A difference amplifier is a type of operational amplifier (op-amp) circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals while rejecting any common-mode signal. It is commonly used in instrumentation circuits for accurate measurements.

2. How do you find the transfer function for a difference amplifier?

The transfer function for a difference amplifier is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. To find it, you can use the formula Vout = (Rf/R1)(V2-V1), where Rf is the feedback resistor and R1 is the input resistor. This formula assumes ideal op-amp characteristics.

3. What is the purpose of finding the transfer function for a difference amplifier?

The transfer function allows us to analyze the performance of a difference amplifier and understand how it amplifies the input signals. It also helps in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications.

4. Can the transfer function of a difference amplifier be affected by external factors?

Yes, the transfer function can be affected by external factors such as temperature, noise, and component tolerances. These factors can introduce errors and affect the accuracy of the output signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using a difference amplifier?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a difference amplifier. It requires a dual power supply, and the input signals must be within the common-mode range of the op-amp. It also has limited bandwidth and may introduce offset errors.