Finding the value of a neutral earthing resistor

In summary, the question involves determining a suitable value of neutral resistance in order to limit the voltage rise at a motor to 430 V in the event of an Earth fault. Based on the given information, the fault current can be calculated to be 15121 amps. To meet the requirement, the current needs to be reduced to 1023.8 amps, which can be achieved by adding a resistor of value 6.16 ohms. However, a mistake was made in assuming that the impedance from the transformer to the motor was 0.42 ohms, when in fact it is 0.3 + j0.3 ohms. This results in a total Earth fault loop impedance of 0.72 + j0
Neil Hayes

Homework Statement

An 11 kV motor is fed by cables from a transformer via switchgear,
having a phase impedance of 0.3 + j0.3 ohm. The Earth return path to
the transformer neutral has a resistance of 0.42 ohm. Determine a
suitable value of neutral resistance if the voltage rise at the motor in the
event of an Earth fault at the motor is not to exceed 430 V. Neglect
transformer winding resistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi there everyone. This is a question that I'm working on at the moment. My attempt so far is as follows. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm on the right path?
[/B]
Well using the information given the fault current would be 6350/.42 = 15121 amps

The 6350 here is the phase voltage.

To meet the requirement in the question the current would need to be reduced to
430/.42 = 1023.8 amps

Using an Earth path impedance of 6350/1023.8 would give 6.20 ohms

What I'm thinking of doing next is R = the square root of Z² - X²

This gives me 6.19 ohms and we already have .3 ohms in the circuit so we would need to add a resistor of value 6.16 ohms.

Would this be correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Neil

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again everyone!

I'm actually just looking at the question there again and think that I made a mistake. I thought that the .42 ohms was the impedance but I think that the impedance from the transformer to the motor is Z = 0.3 + j0.3 which is .42 but I think that the Earth return path to the transformer neutral is also .42 ohms which would give me an Earth fault loop impedance of Z = 0.72 + j0.3.

Does that make more sense I wonder?

Related to Finding the value of a neutral earthing resistor

1. What is a neutral earthing resistor and why is it needed?

A neutral earthing resistor is an electrical component that is connected between the neutral point of a power system and the earth. It is used to limit the flow of current in the event of a fault and to maintain the voltage at a safe level. This helps to protect equipment and personnel from potential damage or harm.

2. How do you calculate the value of a neutral earthing resistor?

The value of a neutral earthing resistor can be calculated using the formula R = V/If, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the phase-to-neutral voltage, and If is the fault current. This calculation should be done by a qualified engineer to ensure the correct value is chosen for the specific power system.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a neutral earthing resistor?

When selecting a neutral earthing resistor, factors such as the type of power system, voltage level, maximum fault current, and operating conditions should be taken into account. It is important to choose a resistor that can handle the expected fault current without overheating or failing.

4. How does the placement of a neutral earthing resistor affect its performance?

The placement of a neutral earthing resistor can have a significant impact on its performance. It should be located as close as possible to the neutral point of the power system to ensure it can limit the fault current effectively. It should also be placed in a well-ventilated area to prevent overheating.

5. What are the potential consequences of an incorrectly sized or faulty neutral earthing resistor?

If a neutral earthing resistor is incorrectly sized or faulty, it can lead to serious consequences such as equipment damage, power outages, and even electrical fires. It is crucial to regularly test and maintain these resistors to ensure they are functioning properly and can provide the necessary protection in the event of a fault.