Finding unit cell dimensions of iron or copper

In summary: It is important to have a solid understanding of x-ray diffraction and Bragg's Law in order to properly interpret the given information and solve the problem.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The research notes from an x-ray diffraction experiment were damaged and information was lost. The wavelength of the x-rays used in the experiment, and measurements of the three smallest Bragg angles (θ) from the sample were all that remained: they were 0.71Å, 10.1°, 14.4°, 17.7°. Using this information determine whether the samples was iron or copper, giving the steps in your reasoning.

Homework Equations

Bragg's Law: ##n \lambda = 2 d \sin \theta##.
Distance between planes in a lattice structure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the distance between the Miller planes is, for a cubic unit cell, ##d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2 + l^2}}##. Using Bragg's Law, I can calculate the value of d given the angle and the wavelength. Since for each angle, I attain a different value for d, I take it then that the angles in question are the angles that the incident xray radiation make with 3 different families of planes. (e.g for angle 10.1, we have an intensity maximum (at n = 1) for a family of planes at some spacing d, for 14.4, this corresponds to another intensity maximum (at n=1) to another family of planes with a different spacing d.) At least, that is how I interpret the fact that the three angles give a different d.

If all three angles gave the same interplanar spacing, then (I think) I could conclude that the three angles correspond to the three smallest orders of intensity maxima for one family of planes. (e.g 10.1 for n =1, 14.4 for n =2 etc..). Are these correct interpretations?

I am not sure how to use what I have above to determine the unit cell dimensions. I know given a d, I can relate this to h,k,l and then I thought, since I was given three angles and three unknowns (h,k,l) I could solve, but when I tried this, I ended up with a contradiction.

Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basics of x-ray diffraction and Bragg's Law. I would also make sure to have a clear understanding of the difference between cubic and non-cubic unit cells and how to calculate the distance between planes in each type of unit cell.

Next, I would use the given information of the wavelength and the three smallest Bragg angles to calculate the corresponding interplanar spacing for each angle using Bragg's Law. From this, I would determine the different families of planes that are being diffracted at each angle.

Based on the given information, it seems that the three angles correspond to three different families of planes. If they were all the same, it would indicate that the sample has a cubic unit cell. However, since they are different, it suggests that the sample has a non-cubic unit cell.

To determine whether the sample is iron or copper, I would need to compare the calculated interplanar spacing values to the known values for these materials. Iron has a face-centered cubic (FCC) structure with a lattice constant of 2.866 Å, while copper has a body-centered cubic (BCC) structure with a lattice constant of 3.615 Å. By comparing the calculated values to these known values, I can determine which material has a closer match.

In order to determine the unit cell dimensions, I would need to use the calculated interplanar spacing values and the corresponding Miller indices for each angle to solve for the lattice parameters a, b, and c. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknowns. Once the lattice parameters are determined, the unit cell dimensions can be calculated.

In summary, to determine whether the sample is iron or copper, I would compare the calculated interplanar spacing values to the known values for these materials. To determine the unit cell dimensions, I would use the calculated interplanar spacing values and Miller indices to solve for the lattice parameters and then calculate the unit cell dimensions.

Related to Finding unit cell dimensions of iron or copper

1. How do you determine the unit cell dimensions of iron or copper?

To determine the unit cell dimensions of iron or copper, you will need to perform a crystallographic analysis. This involves using X-ray diffraction techniques to measure the angles and intensities of X-rays that are diffracted by the crystal lattice of the material. From this data, you can calculate the lattice parameters, which include the unit cell dimensions.

2. What tools or equipment are needed for this experiment?

The main tools and equipment needed for determining the unit cell dimensions of iron or copper are an X-ray diffractometer, a sample holder, and a computer for data analysis. You will also need a source of X-rays, such as a cathode ray tube, and software for data processing and calculation of lattice parameters.

3. Are there any specific preparation steps required before conducting the experiment?

Yes, there are some preparation steps that should be followed before conducting the experiment. These include polishing the sample to ensure a smooth surface, mounting the sample onto the sample holder, and calibrating the X-ray diffractometer. It is also important to ensure that the sample is properly aligned with the X-rays for accurate measurements.

4. Can the unit cell dimensions of iron or copper vary at different temperatures or pressures?

Yes, the unit cell dimensions of iron or copper can vary at different temperatures and pressures. This is due to the fact that temperature and pressure can affect the arrangement of atoms within the crystal lattice, thus altering the lattice parameters. Therefore, it is important to specify the temperature and pressure conditions when reporting the unit cell dimensions of a material.

5. How accurate are the calculated unit cell dimensions?

The accuracy of the calculated unit cell dimensions depends on various factors such as the quality of the data collected, the type of crystal structure, and the precision of the equipment used. In general, the accuracy can range from a few decimal places to several significant figures. It is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and compare the results to ensure accuracy.