Finding unknown values in DC resistor network via matrices

In summary: A: -1.6815, 0.5451, 0.0358B: 0.4609, -0.8536, 0.1492C: 0.3912, -0.7476, 0.1498D: 0.2969, -0.5697, 0.1492E: 0.2248, -0.4696, 0.1492Yes, this is the matrix I solved. The result was that the device was OFF.
Dethoven

Homework Statement

pGV1Vba.png

I need to get 7 equations to make a 7x7 matrix in order to solve it. I have 4 of them, but I'm not sure how to get the voltages equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got four equations so far. One is simply using KCL, I1 = I2 + I3 + I4. The other three are from using KVL and Ohm's Law to get:
1. V0 - VR1 - VR4 = 0
2. VR4 - VR2 - VR5 = 0
3.VR5 - VR3 - VR6 = 0

Applying Ohm's Law:
1. V0 - R1i1 - R4i2 = 0
2. R4i2 - R2(i3 + i4) - R5i3 = 0
3. R5i3 - R3i4 - R6i4 = 0

How do I get 3 equations for the unknown voltages?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dethoven said:
I need to get 7 equations to make a 7x7 matrix in order to solve it.
Are you asked to use this specific method? There are much simpler methods to solve this circuit.

cnh1995 said:
Are you asked to use this specific method? There are much simpler methods to solve this circuit.
Yes, I will be using MATLAB to solve it.

using your 3 equations you can solve for the currents. Once you know the currents you should know the voltages.
V=IR

Once you know all the currents in a circuit, it should be easy to find all the voltages

Dethoven said:
Yes, I will be using MATLAB to solve it.
Ok, but then also a 3×3 matrix will be sufficient if you used mesh analysis.

I suspect that the OP is meant to use a more general matrix method involving network theory and incidence matrices,etc. But he hasn't spelled this out, nor provided the relevant equations so that we can confirm this or help in a meaningful way. The mention of a 7 x 7 matrix is what gives me this feeling.

I suspect that the OP is meant to use a more general matrix method involving network theory and incidence matrices,etc. But he hasn't spelled this out, nor provided the relevant equations so that we can confirm this or help in a meaningful way. The mention of a 7 x 7 matrix is what gives me this feeling.
I apologise for the incomplete question, I admit I was in a rush typing it out. Here is the relevant question:

You are given V0, and the values of six resistors. The seven unknowns can be treated as elements of a 7x1 matrix. Using Kirchoff's Law and Ohm's Law, write the solution to the resistor network as a matrix equation containing a 7x7 matrix.

Essentially, I will have A*X = B where I'm solving for X.

Last edited:
Oh my, if I simply rewrite each resistor as equations in the 7 unknowns, for example, for R1: R1I1 = V0 - V1, then make V0 the subject, will that be fine? And for the 7th equation, I use I1 = I2 + I3 + I4?

Dethoven said:
Oh my, if I simply rewrite each resistor as equations in the 7 unknowns, for example, for R1: R1I1 = V0 - V1, then make V0 the subject, will that be fine? And for the 7th equation, I use I1 = I2 + I3 + I4?
see my post above.

If you have equations for the currents you should be able to rework them for the voltage equations

donpacino said:
see my post above.

If you have equations for the currents you should be able to rework them for the voltage equations
But I need 7 equations, from which I can form a matrix and solve.

Dethoven said:
But I need 7 equations, from which I can form a matrix and solve.
whats your point

AX=B,
you're solving for X

A is a 7x7
B is a 7x1
X is a 7x1

so B(1)=A(1,1)*X(1) + A(2,1)*x(1)... etc
lets say x = [i1 i2 i3 i4 v1 v2 v3]'

you should be able to find equations for v1 v2 and v3 and fill in the A matrix accordingly. You're really telling me you can't find a relationship between current and voltage across a given resistor...

If you want to form equations for the node voltages I suggest you use nodal analysis (KCL) at each of the nodes. You found the current equations using KVL around the loops, so similarly you can find node voltage equations using KCL at the nodes.

I've now got 6 equations, which are hopefully right. What would be the 7th equation?

Co0JdiT.jpg

How about the sum of all the currents? What's the relationship between i1 and the rest of the currents?

Do you know the correct values for the currents and voltages?

Have you been able to solve your 7 equations? Did that solution give you the correct values?

The reason I ask is because I solved your equations and didn't get the correct values for the currents.

I added the equation suggested by gneill as equation 4 and get this as the 7x7 system you're trying to solve:

Sol.png

Is this the matrix you solved? What was the result?

I get this, and the currents are not correct:

Sol1.png

Dethoven said:
I've now got 6 equations, which are hopefully right. What would be the 7th equation?

Co0JdiT.jpg

why don't you use ohms law to calculate the voltages?
i2*R4=V1
etc
thats three easy equations
then your first three equations
and the equation recommended by gneil.

The Electrician said:
Do you know the correct values for the currents and voltages?

Have you been able to solve your 7 equations? Did that solution give you the correct values?

The reason I ask is because I solved your equations and didn't get the correct values for the currents.

I added the equation suggested by gneill as equation 4 and get this as the 7x7 system you're trying to solve:

View attachment 99535

Is this the matrix you solved? What was the result?

I get this, and the currents are not correct:

View attachment 99537
you made an error in your A matrix. eqn 2

It's not my matrix, it's the OP's matrix, and I was trying to get him to find his error.

The Electrician said:
It's not my matrix, it's the OP's matrix, and I was trying to get him to find his error.
oops. I was comparing OPs eqns from post 1 to the matrix, it seems he changed them in post 14

Related to Finding unknown values in DC resistor network via matrices

What is a DC resistor network?

A DC resistor network is a circuit composed of multiple resistors connected in series or parallel. It is used to control the flow of direct current (DC) electricity.

Why do we need to find unknown values in a DC resistor network?

Finding unknown values in a DC resistor network is important for understanding and analyzing the behavior of the circuit. It allows us to determine the voltage, current, and power at different points in the network, which is essential for troubleshooting and designing circuits.

What are matrices and how are they used in finding unknown values in a DC resistor network?

Matrices are mathematical structures that consist of rows and columns of numbers. In the context of finding unknown values in a DC resistor network, matrices are used to represent the circuit's equations and to solve for the unknown variables using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule.

What are the common methods for finding unknown values in a DC resistor network?

The most common methods for finding unknown values in a DC resistor network include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the use of matrices. These methods can be used individually or in combination with each other to solve for the unknown variables in a circuit.

What are the limitations of using matrices to find unknown values in a DC resistor network?

While matrices are a powerful tool for solving equations, they may become complex and difficult to solve for large and complicated circuits. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the circuit's parameters and the assumptions made in the equations.