Finding values of RLC circuit given resonance frequency

In summary: You can get Q from the power equation. In summary, the student attempted to solve for Q from the power equation, but got an imaginary number when they substituted in ZL, ZC, and R. They then reduced ZL + ZC + R to just R.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit is driven by an ac source with a phasor voltage Vs = 10∠30◦ V. If the circuit resonates at 103 rad/s and the average power absorbed by the resistor at resonance is 2.5 W, determine the values of R, L, and C, given that Q = 5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

As I am solving this, I am substituting into the equation for the power of the resistor using some of the parameters given in the problem statement. However, when I finally solve for L, then I end up getting an imaginary number part, 0.2∠60. Do I just use the real part as my answer, or am I doing this incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my attempt

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397617891.477692.jpg

The phasor angle attributed to the source voltage should be irrelevant; You can always define the source phasor to be the reference phasor for your calculations (unless other current or voltage phasors elsewhere in the circuit are also given so that the true reference phasor is something or somewhere else that you can't "get at" directly). So just take your source to be 10V @ 103 rad/sec.

At resonance the net reactance seen by the source is what? What does that tell you about the phase angle between the voltage and current at resonance?

when I finally solve for L, then I end up getting an imaginary number part, 0.2∠60.
Average power is (magnitude of current)2 * R
where you use the RMS value of the current
So current in this formula has no angle, and the inductance you calculate will not have an angle.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you guys are trying to communicate to me, so here is my interpretation of what you guys are telling me in my next attempt

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397719614.429544.jpg

Your method looks better, though I haven't checked your arithmetic.

You should give a few words' explanation why you reduced ZL + ZC + R to just R.

So w_0 is 10^3 rad/s, not 103 rad/s?

Anyway, start with determining R, which is already wrong.
Then L.
Then C.

Don't use current at all.

Related to Finding values of RLC circuit given resonance frequency

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in either series or parallel and are used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How does resonance frequency relate to an RLC circuit?

Resonance frequency is the frequency at which an RLC circuit will naturally vibrate or resonate. This frequency is determined by the values of the components in the circuit and can be used to optimize the circuit's performance.

3. How do I find the resonance frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of an RLC circuit can be found by using the formula fr = 1/(2π√(LC)), where fr is the resonance frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. How can I determine the values of R, L, and C for a given resonance frequency?

To determine the values of R, L, and C for a given resonance frequency, you can rearrange the formula fr = 1/(2π√(LC)) to solve for the unknown component. You will need to know the values of the other two components to calculate the missing one.

5. What are some practical applications of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits have many practical applications, including in audio equipment, radio and television receivers, and electronic filters. They are also commonly used in electrical power systems for voltage regulation and power factor correction.