Finding y-intersept form two points

• Thread starter mastershake15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Points
In summary, the conversation is about finding the slope and y-intercept of a line given two points (7,1) and (3,10). The formula for slope, (Y2-Y1)/(X2-X1), is mentioned and a correction is made to use proper grouping symbols in the formula. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and apologizing for any incorrectness.
mastershake15

Homework Statement

suppose you had the points (7,1) and (3,10)

Homework Equations

i know that Y2- Y1/X2 - X1 give you the slope

The Attempt at a Solution

please help this problem is killing my math grade on tests thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, you have the slope. What is it? The y-intercept form is y=m*x+b where m is the slope. To find b, put one of your points into the equation, say x=7, y=1 and solve for b.

This part is wrong. Do you know how to correct this:
2. Homework Equations

i know that Y2- Y1/X2 - X1 give you the slope
Either use a good mathematical typesetting system, such as Tex or TexAide, or write the formula for slope properly using grouping symbols:
(Y2 - Y1)/(X2 - X1)

oh... thank you i feel silly now and sry bout the incorrectness i have never posted in math/science help forums before

Related to Finding y-intersept form two points

1. How do I find the y-intercept form two points?

To find the y-intercept form two points, you will need to first determine the slope of the line using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). Then, plug in the values for one of the points and the slope into the slope-intercept form equation y = mx + b. Finally, solve for the y-intercept (b) by substituting the coordinates of one of the points into the equation.

2. What is the formula for finding the y-intercept from two points?

The formula for finding the y-intercept from two points is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept. This formula is known as the slope-intercept form of a linear equation.

3. Can I find the y-intercept if I only know two points on a line?

Yes, you can find the y-intercept if you know two points on a line. This can be done by first finding the slope of the line using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). Then, plug in the values for one of the points and the slope into the slope-intercept form equation y = mx + b. Finally, solve for the y-intercept (b) by substituting the coordinates of one of the points into the equation.

4. Why is it important to find the y-intercept from two points?

Finding the y-intercept from two points is important because it allows you to determine the equation of a line in slope-intercept form. This can be useful in graphing the line and determining important characteristics such as the slope and y-intercept. It can also be used in solving real-world problems involving linear relationships.

5. Is there a faster way to find the y-intercept from two points?

Yes, there is a faster way to find the y-intercept from two points. Instead of using the slope-intercept form equation, you can use the point-slope form equation y - y1 = m(x-x1). This equation only requires the coordinates of one of the points and the slope to find the y-intercept. It can be a quicker method when solving for the y-intercept.