Finite difference Schrodinger equation

In summary: The problem is that the wave function is symmetric around the origin, so the correction is symmetric along the right as well as the left axis. However, since the grid is indexed starting from the negative end of the left axis, the symmetricity is not preserved when the wave function is translated to the positive side. This is why the correction peaks at the origin.
aaaa202
I am simulating electrons inside a cylindrical well like the one shown on the first figure.
My current work has been on solving the Schrodinger equation numerically for the above potential and then finding corrections to the solution such that it is consistent with Poissons equation.
To do so I need to apply the inverse Laplacian to the electron density as shown in figure 2, which will give me the correction to the potential profile (at least in the first iteration). The problem is however, that applying the inverse Laplacian to the electron density shown gives me a correction as shown on figure 3. As seen it makes sense that this is peaked around the origin, since the electron density is highest at this point. What however doesn't make sense, is that it curves upwards in one direction and doesn't go to zero in a spherically symmetric manner. Everything in my problem has circular symmetry, so I have no idea why it doesn't go to zero with circular symmetry. Does anyone have an idea why this can be? Is it a numerical problem? I doubt so since my mesh size is not very big.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 719
  • 2.png
    2.png
    12 KB · Views: 717
  • 3.png
    3.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 706
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to answer without more details of the method you use. It could indeed be due to the propagation of an error. Looking at figure 3, the correction seems to be symmetric along the right axis, but not the left axis. Is your calculation starting from the negative end of the left axis and then proceeds from negative to positive values of the left axis?

My 2d grid is indexed like the one attached. It starts at one corner and then the value of the wave function at each point on the grid represents an entry in an NxN dimensional vector.

Attachments

• grid.png
    grid.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 694
For a given point the second order derivative is calculated using 4 points in the vicinity as marked by the red cross on the this figure. I guess this causes problems for points on the edge.

Attachments

• grid.png
    grid.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 695
hmm I think I figured it out

Related to Finite difference Schrodinger equation

1. What is the Finite Difference Schrodinger equation?

The Finite Difference Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given potential field. It is a discretized version of the Schrodinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Finite Difference Schrodinger equation different from the regular Schrodinger equation?

The Finite Difference Schrodinger equation is a discretized version of the regular Schrodinger equation, which means that it is solved numerically rather than analytically. This allows for easier computation of quantum systems with complex potentials, as well as the ability to model systems with non-uniform potential fields.

3. What are the applications of the Finite Difference Schrodinger equation?

The Finite Difference Schrodinger equation has many applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of quantum systems in condensed matter physics, atomic and molecular physics, and quantum chemistry. It is also used in engineering and materials science to model and understand the behavior of quantum systems in various technologies.

4. How is the Finite Difference Schrodinger equation solved?

The Finite Difference Schrodinger equation is solved using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. These methods involve dividing the potential field into a grid of discrete points and calculating the wave function at each point using iterative techniques.

5. What are the limitations of the Finite Difference Schrodinger equation?

While the Finite Difference Schrodinger equation is a powerful tool for studying quantum systems, it does have limitations. It is only applicable to systems with a finite number of particles and cannot accurately describe systems with strong interactions or high-energy particles. Additionally, it can be computationally expensive for complex systems, and the discretization process can introduce errors in the results.