First Leyden Jar - experimenting.

• Thread starter window
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leyden jar
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction and use of a saltwater Leyden jar, which produces a spark after being charged from a TV screen. The idea of using a bottle of saltwater with a submerged coil of wire as a "turned inside out" Leyden jar is suggested, with the possibility of grounding the wire and using a charged object to induce a negative charge throughout the saltwater. The feasibility of this idea and the potential for solely charging the inside surfaces of a measuring cylinder with saltwater are also discussed.
window
I have just built a saltwater Leyden jar from a drink bottle and foil and am genuinely joyed that it produces a spark after charging from the TV screen. Good Fun.

So I understand that the charge lies on the interfaces between jar/foil and jar/saltwater. Then I googled "saltwater capacitor" and saw that some people have made devices using a bottle of saltwater sat in a bucket of saltwater, - so no foil.

So it occurred to me that maybe my Leyden jar could be "turned inside out" by having a jarful of saltwater with a decent sized coil of insulated wire submerged in it, (each end trailing out of the jar.)

I was thinking of grounding the submerged wire. Then, sweeping the TV screen with a wire with a stripped end dipped in the saltwater.

Do you think this will work before I go and buy some more wire?

Any better ideas about grounding / charging?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Induction Charging an Electrolyte?

If you wanted to induce a -ve charge throughout a measuring cylinder of , say, saltwater how would you do it?

By earthing the inside of the cylinder and bringing a +ve charged object close?

Would the -ve charge reside solely on the wet inside surfaces of the measuring cylinder?

It's great to hear that you are experimenting with a Leyden jar and are excited about the results! Your idea of "turning it inside out" and using a jarful of saltwater with a wire submerged in it is definitely worth trying out. Grounding the submerged wire and using a wire with a stripped end to sweep the TV screen could potentially work, but it's always important to do your research and take necessary safety precautions when working with electricity.

As for other ideas for grounding and charging, you could also try using a battery or a power source to charge the Leyden jar instead of relying on the TV screen. You could also experiment with different types of saltwater solutions to see if it affects the spark produced.

Overall, the key to successful experimentation is to keep an open mind, ask questions, and continue to learn and improve your methods. Good luck with your future experiments!

Related to First Leyden Jar - experimenting.

What is a Leyden Jar?

A Leyden Jar is an early form of capacitor, which was used to store and release electrical charge. It consists of a glass jar with metal foil coatings on the inside and outside, separated by an insulating material.

Who invented the First Leyden Jar?

The First Leyden Jar was invented by German physicist Ewald Georg von Kleist in 1745. However, it was independently discovered by Dutch scientist Pieter van Musschenbroek in the same year.

How does a Leyden Jar work?

A Leyden Jar works based on the principle of capacitance, where the metal foils act as conductors and the glass jar acts as an insulator. When the jar is charged, the positive and negative charges are stored on the inner and outer coatings respectively, creating an electric potential difference.

What were the first experiments done with Leyden Jars?

The first experiments with Leyden Jars involved discharging the stored electricity through various objects, such as metal wires, water, and even humans. These experiments demonstrated the power and potential dangers of electricity.

How has the use of Leyden Jars evolved over time?

The use of Leyden Jars has evolved from early experiments with electricity to more practical applications in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, and energy storage. Today, advanced versions of Leyden Jars are still used in various electronic devices and experiments.