First time using CERN libraries - help

In summary: This comprises several files, the most important of which is lib/src/README.txt. There you will find descriptions of all the library's functions, together with examples of how to call them. In summary, you need to download the files from the CERNLIB website, and then integrate them into a FORTRAN program.
beamerxl
I am starting a new particle physics class that requires us to use the CERN program libraries (http://cernlib.web.cern.ch/cernlib/" ). I've been to the website and am quite lost. I don't know what files I need to get from the website, or how to implement them into a program. It's been about three years since I've used FORTRAN, and even then the class I took was very basic (we never covered anything about how to incorporate program libraries). It also seems to be implied that I will need a UNIX/Linux workstation to do this, which I could access through our physics department, though I have never used UNIX/Linux before either, so if it is possible to do this on my Vista64 or Mac, that would be preferred.

Our first assignment is some basic random number generation, though I'm sure we will be tackling harder problems as the semester goes on.

Can anyone with experience in FORTRAN, UNIX/Linux, or CERNLIB offer some help? Basically, my primary questions are:

• Can I do this in Vista64/Mac or do I need to get an account on our Linux machine?
  • If I need to use UNIX/Linux, what do I need to know to get started with a programming assignment?
  • What files do I need to download from the CERNLIB website, and what do I do with them?
  • How would I go about integrating these functions into a FORTRAN program?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I haven't used CERNLIB before but I can't quite understand why you've got difficulty in figuring out what to do. Right there on the CERNLIB front page is a downloads link, together with the rather helpful statement

CERNLIB said:
The recommended way to install CERNLIB is from the preinstalled distribution kits but it is also possible to INSTALL it from the source files.

Clicking on the link, one finds that there exist clearly indicated precompiled binaries of the CERNLIB libraries for all manner of platforms, including Windows and OS X. This is precisely what you want. Indeed, the installation instructions at the top of the page are for Windows XP.

As to how you go about actually using the libraries, a good place to start would be to read the documentation, all of which is on the project homepage.

Hello,

I understand that you are starting a new particle physics class and are required to use the CERN program libraries. I can offer some guidance to help you get started.

Firstly, it is possible to use CERNLIB on a Vista64 or Mac operating system, but it may be easier to use a Linux workstation. If you have access to one through your physics department, I would recommend using that for your assignments.

To get started with a programming assignment on a Linux machine, you will need some basic knowledge of the UNIX/Linux operating system and how to navigate the command line. There are many resources available online to help you learn these skills, such as tutorials and forums.

To start using the CERN libraries, you will need to download the appropriate files from the CERNLIB website. You can navigate to the "Download" section and select the libraries that are relevant to your assignment. Make sure to download the files onto your Linux machine.

Once you have downloaded the files, you will need to integrate them into your FORTRAN program. This will involve linking the libraries with your code and ensuring that the correct paths are set. There are detailed instructions available on the CERNLIB website, and you can also seek help from your professor or fellow students who may have experience with FORTRAN and CERNLIB.

I hope this helps you get started with using CERNLIB for your particle physics class. Remember to also utilize resources such as online tutorials and forums, and don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or classmates for assistance. Good luck with your assignments!

Related to First time using CERN libraries - help

1. How do I access the CERN libraries for the first time?

To access the CERN libraries for the first time, you will first need to create a CERN Lightweight Account (LWAC) and register for a CERN computing account. Once you have these, you can log into the CERN Document Server and access the libraries through their website or by using a command line interface.

2. Are there any tutorials or documentation available for using CERN libraries?

Yes, there are many tutorials and documentation available for using CERN libraries. You can find these on the CERN website or by searching for specific topics on their document server. Additionally, you can attend workshops and training sessions offered by CERN to learn more about using their libraries.

3. Can I use CERN libraries for my research even if I am not affiliated with CERN?

Yes, CERN libraries are open to everyone, regardless of affiliation. However, some resources may only be available to CERN members, so it is best to check with the library staff for specific access restrictions.

4. What types of materials are available in the CERN libraries?

The CERN libraries offer a wide range of materials, including books, journals, reports, conference proceedings, and more. They also have a large collection of online resources, such as databases and e-books, that can be accessed remotely.

5. Can I request materials from the CERN libraries if they are not available online?

Yes, you can request materials from the CERN libraries if they are not available online. You can do this through their document server or by contacting the library staff. They may be able to provide a physical copy or a digital copy of the requested material.