Fixing Subscript and Superscript with $\Sigma$

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to properly format a mathematical expression using subscripts and superscripts. The solution is to use the code \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} or \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} for displayed environments. It is also possible to use \sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} or the MATH tags to achieve the desired result.
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks,
Could someone please tell me how I can clean this up, $\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty$ placing sub-script and super-script directly below and above $\Sigma$ respectively?

Here is the raw code I used to get the above faulty text:
Code:
\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty
Thanks kindly,
Deo Abscondo

Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
Hi folks,
Could someone please tell me how I can clean this up, $\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty$ placing sub-script and super-script directly below and above $\Sigma$ respectively?

Here is the raw code I used to get the above faulty text:
Code:
\Sigma_{k=0}^\infty
Thanks kindly,
Deo Abscondo

Try doing
Code:
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}
instead will give you $\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}$. However, if you're not in \$\$ ... \$\$ land, then you'll have to do use this instead
Code:
\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}
to get the limits to appear above and below like this: $\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}$. There's a way to brute force it if you're not in an displayed environment:
Code:
\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}
as seen here: $\sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty}$

Also, using the MATH tags (click the sigma button in the toolbar) as follows:

[MATH]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}[/MATH]

will produce:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\)

Related to Fixing Subscript and Superscript with $\Sigma$

What is the purpose of fixing subscript and superscript with $\Sigma$?

The purpose of fixing subscript and superscript with $\Sigma$ is to ensure that mathematical equations and expressions are correctly formatted and displayed. This is especially important in scientific and mathematical fields where accuracy is crucial.

What is the difference between a subscript and a superscript?

A subscript is a number or letter that appears below the baseline of a character, while a superscript is a number or letter that appears above the baseline of a character. Subscripts and superscripts are commonly used in mathematical and chemical equations to indicate the placement of elements or coefficients.

Why is $\Sigma$ commonly used to fix subscript and superscript errors?

The Greek letter $\Sigma$ (sigma) is commonly used to fix subscript and superscript errors because it represents summation or addition, which is a fundamental operation in mathematical equations. By using $\Sigma$, the subscript or superscript is placed in the correct position without changing the overall meaning of the equation.

What are some common errors that can occur with subscripts and superscripts?

Some common errors that can occur with subscripts and superscripts include incorrect placement, incorrect size or formatting, and missing or misplaced parentheses. These errors can lead to incorrect calculations or a misinterpretation of the equation.

How can I fix subscript and superscript errors in my equations?

To fix subscript and superscript errors in your equations, you can use the $\Sigma$ symbol or other formatting tools in your word processing or mathematical software. It is also important to carefully check the placement and formatting of your subscripts and superscripts to ensure they are correct.