Fluctuation in terms of Hilbert space formalsm

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum fluctuation and its precise mathematical meaning, as well as its relation to classical fluctuations and superpositions. There is confusion about how quantum fluctuations are magnified and how they give rise to nonuniformities in the universe. The speaker questions the idea of a buzzing swarm of fluctuations in the micro-world and wonders about the role of wave collapse in creating definite inhomogeneities. A series of articles is recommended for further understanding of this topic.
cyberkatru
This will sound like a very amateur question but please read:
I have been puzzled for a while about the *precise* mathematical meaning of "quantum fluctuation".
I know what a classical fluctuation is (as found in classical statistical dynamics). I also know what a superposition is. These seem different. A fluctuation sounds definite if unknowably microsopic an complex, whereas a superposition is about a more fundamental indefiniteness.

I am told that quantum fluctuations were maginified (huh?) and frozen into the nonuniformities that eventually gave rise to galaxies etc. But this makes it sound like quantum fluctuations are definite states of a classical field that are just really really small. But this can't be right. How does one magnify a superposition and get something definite? Where is the wave collapse.
It seems to me that the indefiniteness of a quantum state is to be found in the notion of a superposition rather than some definite something hiding at a microscopic scale.

The idea that the micro-world is just a buzzing swarm of fluctuations sounds too classical. What is fluctuating and in what sense??

I just can't see what a quantum flucuation could be in terms of the Hilbert space formalism.

Put another way, what or who collapsed the wave function that led to the definite inhomogeneities that eventually became he galaxies etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes PeroK

Related to Fluctuation in terms of Hilbert space formalsm

1. What is the concept of fluctuation in terms of Hilbert space formalism?

The concept of fluctuation in terms of Hilbert space formalism refers to the variation or random changes in the values of physical quantities, such as energy or momentum, in a quantum system. It is an essential aspect of quantum mechanics and is described using mathematical tools, specifically Hilbert space formalism.

2. How is fluctuation represented in Hilbert space formalism?

In Hilbert space formalism, fluctuation is represented by operators, such as the Hamiltonian operator, acting on the quantum state of the system. These operators describe the possible values that a physical quantity can take on and the probabilities associated with each value.

3. What causes fluctuations in a quantum system?

Fluctuations in a quantum system are caused by the inherent uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously with absolute precision, leading to fluctuations in their values.

4. How do fluctuations affect the behavior of a quantum system?

Fluctuations can significantly impact the behavior of a quantum system. They can cause changes in the energy levels of a system, leading to transitions between different states. Fluctuations can also result in the emission or absorption of photons, which play a crucial role in many quantum phenomena.

5. Can fluctuations be controlled or manipulated in a quantum system?

Yes, it is possible to control and manipulate fluctuations in a quantum system through various techniques, such as quantum measurements and coherent control. These methods allow for precision control of the quantum state, which can help minimize or enhance fluctuations depending on the desired outcome.