Form an op w/ three vectors in polar form.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the best solution for solving a problem involving three vectors in polar form, with the end goal of obtaining a sum in rectangular form. The attempt at a solution involved using the Triangle Law and converting all numbers to rectangular form. The final result was 11 - 20i.
itlivesthere

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the best solution for solving a problem in which I must form an operation with three vectors in polar form, ending with a sum in rectangular form. The operation is as follows:
(5 [itex]\angle[/itex] 0°) + (20 [itex]\angle[/itex] -90°) - (6 [itex]\angle[/itex]180°) =

Homework Equations

Z1[itex]\angleθ[/itex] + Z2[itex]\angleθ[/itex] = (Z1 + Z2) [itex]\angleθ[/itex], (X1 + jY1) + (X2 + jY2) = (X1 + X2) + j(Y1 + Y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the Triangle Law R= (a+b)+(b+c). I'm not sure if I did this correctly or not, but I ended up with this vector in rectangular form: -9 + j1.1*10-15

I'm posting to verify if I did this correctly or if I missed anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Although polar form is handy when multiplying complex numbers, rectangular form is far more convenient when adding complex numbers, because you can just add them "component-wise", meaning that you can separately add up their real and their imaginary parts.

So, convert all the numbers to rectangular form. This is trivial here, because, the angles are such that all the numbers lie along one of the coordinate axes.

A phase angle of 0 degrees means that the first number lies along the positive real axis and is just equal to +5

A phase angle of -90 degrees means that the second number lies along the negative imaginary axis and is just equal to -20i

A phase angle of 180 degrees means that the third number lies along the negative real axis and is just equal to -6

+5 + (-20i) - (-6) = 11 - 20i

EDIT: I guess I used the wrong notation. Substitute 'j' whenever you see 'i' above, if it confuses you. They both mean [itex] \sqrt{-1} [/itex].

Related to Form an op w/ three vectors in polar form.

What is the formula for forming an operation with three vectors in polar form?

The formula for forming an operation with three vectors in polar form is:

Resultant vector = √(A² + B² + C² + 2ABcosθ + 2ACcos(θ+α) + 2BCcos(θ+β)),
where A, B, and C are the magnitudes of the vectors and θ, α, and β are the angles between the vectors.

How do I convert a vector from Cartesian form to polar form?

To convert a vector from Cartesian form to polar form, you can use the following formulas:

Magnitude (r) = √(x² + y²)
Angle (θ) = tan⁻¹(y/x)
where x and y are the coordinates of the vector in the Cartesian plane.

Can I use the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines to find the magnitude and angle of a vector in polar form?

Yes, the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines can be used to find the magnitude and angle of a vector in polar form. These laws can also be used to solve for missing values in a triangle formed by the vectors.

What is the significance of using polar form in vector operations?

Polar form is often used in vector operations because it allows for easier visualization and calculation of the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. Additionally, it can help in solving problems involving forces and velocities in physics and engineering.

Can I use polar form to represent complex numbers?

Yes, polar form can also be used to represent complex numbers. The magnitude of the complex number is equivalent to the modulus of the vector, while the angle corresponds to the argument of the complex number.