Frames of Reference: Find the speed and heading of the airplane

ahira
New user has been reminded to always show their work when posting schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
pilot is flying from City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]. If the plane will encounter a constant wind of 80 km/h from the north and the schedule insists that he complete his trip in 0.75 h, what air speed and heading should the plane have?
Relevant Equations
V=d/t
Vg= Vair +Vwing
so far what i have gotten to is that 300/0.75 = 400km/h but I dont know how to draw the diagram for this

Physics news on Phys.org
would it be like this?
diagram fof.jpg

Likes Lnewqban
ahira said:
so far what i have gotten to is that 300/0.75 = 400km/h but I dont know how to draw the diagram for this
ahira said:
would it be like this?
'like this' is a good description, but some improvement is in order:
  • heading AB is ##\pi/4##
  • you write ##v_g = v_{air} + v_{wing} ##, but you draw ##v_{wing}= =v_g - v_{air}##. That's fine, but somewhat confusing, especially if you don't label the vectors.
So far, so good; now perform the actual calculation :smile:

##\ ##

BvU said:
'like this' is a good description, but some improvement is in order:
  • heading AB is π/4
  • you write vg=vair+vwing, but you draw vwing==vg−vair. That's fine, but somewhat confusing, especially if you don't label the vectors.
So far, so good; now perform the actual calculation :smile:
IMG_3659.jpg

I Changed the diagram and realized that North West sits on an angle of 45 degrees so therefore the angle between the Northline and A should be 45 degrees. I'm not that sure but should the angle at B be 45 degrees as well due to alternate angles ?

Last edited:
City A to City B which is 300 km [NW]
So vector AB should correspond to the ground speed with a heading of 45 degrees west of north and magnitude 400 km/h. As you wrote$$v_g = v_{air} + v_{wing}$$but now your drawing shows vector AC (a.k.a.##\ \ v_{wing}\ \ ##) as ##v_g + v_{air}## !!

Lean back a little and use common sense: with a headwind your course should be aiming upwind of A !

And you can also reasonably expect that you need to make more speed than the 400 km/h ('AC should be longer than AB')

##\ ##

Sorry for the dumb question, but should ##v_{wing}## be ##v_{wind}## in all of the posts above (including the OP's)?

• Love
Likes BvU
BvU said:
somewhat confusing, especially if you don't label the vectors.
I feel dumb for taking ##v_{air} = ## 80 km/h from the north (the speed OF the air :rolleyes:), when - most likely -@ahira perhaps meant ##v_{air} = ## the speed WRT the air.

So what about
ahira said:
Relevant Equations:
Vg= Vair +Vwing
and the picture in #3 ?

##\ ##