Frequency, and finding wave speed. Professor mistake?

In summary, the conversation discussed problems with a study guide for an upcoming test. The first problem asked for the frequency of a sound wave with a given velocity and wavelength, and the correct answer was determined to be 34 Hz. The second problem involved a series of ocean waves and asked for the speed, which was found to be 16 m/s. The conversation also clarified the use of equations for finding velocity and frequency when given different information.
ShineyPenny
I am studying for an upcoming test, and it is known that there are hiccups in our study guide. I am stuck on two problems.

Homework Statement

1. What is the frequency, in Hz, of a sound wave (v=340 m/s) with a wavelength of 10 m?

2. A series of ocean waves, each 8 m from crest to crest and moving past an observer at a rate of 2 waves per second, has what speed?

Homework Equations

1. Frequency= 1 / Period

2. V = Lambda / Period

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I get the answer .029, but the study guide says 0.0029 Hz?

2. I get the answer 4, but study guide says 16?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
ShineyPenny said:
I am studying for an upcoming test, and it is known that there are hiccups in our study guide. I am stuck on two problems.

Homework Statement

1. What is the frequency, in Hz, of a sound wave (v=340 m/s) with a wavelength of 10 m?

2. A series of ocean waves, each 8 m from crest to crest and moving past an observer at a rate of 2 waves per second, has what speed?

Homework Equations

1. Frequency= 1 / Period

2. V = Lambda / Period

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I get the answer .029, but the study guide says 0.0029 Hz?
Can you show your actual calculation? I don't get either of those answers.

2. I get the answer 4, but study guide says 16?
One wave (crest to crest) is 8 m, so two waves would be ____m?

Sure thing

1. Sorry...slight mix up in answers, the sheet says .029 but I am getting .0029. 1 / 340 = .0029. Am I even doing the right formula for this?

2. OK, so it is 16. Why am I using V=Lambda x Period and not V=Lambda / Period?

Last edited:
ShineyPenny said:
Sure thing

1. Sorry...slight mix up in answers, the sheet says .029 but I am getting .0029. 1 / 340 = .0029. Am I even doing the right formula for this?
Both of these answers are wrong unless you read it wrong.You need to combine both formulas to get the answer.

ShineyPenny said:
2. OK, so it is 16. Why am I using V=Lambda x Period and not V=Lambda / Period?
No. V=Lambda / Period and V=lambda*frequency.

For problem one, I notified the professor and he said the guide is incorrect...the answer is 34. Now it all makes sense for that one!

For problem two, whoops >.<

I take it I only use V=Lambda*Period and f=1/Period if I am only given the period and I'm trying to discover Velocity or Frequency (respectfully).

1) Start by getting an equation in the right form for what you are trying to find. You are looking to find Frequency from Wavelength (i.e. Lambda) and Velocity, so your expression must contain all these quantities. If you do that you should get the expected answer.

2)Using V = Lambda / Period, the Period is not 2;

"2 waves per second" means Frequency = 2 Hz. Period = 1 / Frequency, so Period= 0.5s

ShineyPenny said:
I take it I only use V=Lambda*Period and f=1/Period if I am only given the period and I'm trying to discover Velocity or Frequency (respectfully).

No V is never Lambda*Period. Look at the units length*time is not velocity.In this case you get the correct number but not the correct answer.Always look at your units and numbers and think if they make any sense. Also if you have equations containing the same terms you can always combine them but be careful with the math.

Related to Frequency, and finding wave speed. Professor mistake?

1. What is the definition of frequency?

Frequency is the number of complete cycles of a wave that occur in one second. It is measured in units of hertz (Hz).

2. How do you calculate frequency?

Frequency can be calculated by dividing the wave's speed by its wavelength. The formula is f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is wave speed, and λ is wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wave speed?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the frequency increases, the wave speed also increases and vice versa.

4. Can a professor make a mistake when finding wave speed?

Yes, a professor can make a mistake when finding wave speed. This can be due to human error or incorrect data input. It is important to double check calculations and data to ensure accuracy.

5. How do you know if a professor has made a mistake when finding wave speed?

If the calculated wave speed does not match the expected or known value, there may have been a mistake made. It is important to check calculations and data, and if necessary, consult with the professor for clarification.